Thread: Report 22 June 1941 Boeing into Massed Cumulus RAE J B W Humpherson & W K Stewart?

Thanks

Default Report 22 June 1941 Boeing into Massed Cumulus RAE J B W Humpherson & W K Stewart?

Been going through my RAE notes and I'm really interested if anyone has photograped this report, or has any RAF or Boeing documentation, weather chart or even an Accident Card, that they might email please? I realise Yorkshire Aircraft Crashes refers to the crash and speculation of various individuals regarding the duty of the flight.

22/6/41 1715 F. Lt. J. B. W. HUMPHERSON D.F.C. was killed in an accident to a Boeing which disappeared into massed cumulus cloud and broke up in the air. F. Lt. W. K. STEWART of the R.A.F. Physiological Laboratory attached to the R.A.E. escaped by parachute and was the sole survivor.

THE R.A.E., also had another incident/crash the same day at 1620 when the engine failed on Spitfire N3081 when approaching the aerodrome to land. S/Ldr J. FULTON D.F.C., was taken to Cambridge Hospital for treatment.

Thanks, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 25th November 2014 at 09:01.

Thanks

Mark,

I've a feeling this has been discussed previously but I can't find the thread at the moment. That said for starters see http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/04661.php (before I joined).

Brian

Thanks

Mark,
    Humpherson Death Reg at Richmond, Yorks
    Thunderstorms forecast (and observed) that day. One reported (1800) at Catterick, and a severe one at Tynemouth. Limited number of observations and a chart can be found at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pd..._to_30_Jun.pdf.
    Rob Stitt may have more info on the mission?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I must have been thinking of a similar incident, Mark, as I still can't find what I was seeking. The aircraft was AN522 and I think there was something about the accident in a 1974 issue of Air International (Taylor, H. A., "Fiasco or Foretaste?", Air International, Bromley, Kent, UK, December 1974, Volume 7, Number 6, p. 280).

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian and Peter

Thanks, I'll take a look later.

Rob has been in touch regarding another enquiry of his which I need to access on usual pc (I'm not au fait with this tablet yet) and I also owe Brian an email response now that I have four photos of a 1940 Air Ministry wall chart (Form No. 2342 published 8/40) about flying in Cumulus and other clouds.

I likely don't have that Air International you mention.

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 25th November 2014 at 12:23.

Thanks

I assume you've seen this, Mark, which appears to be based on the AVIA file in the NA: http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/...k41/an522.html.

Brian

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Mark:

The AM Form 59 simply states that AN522 was on strength with 90 Sqn at the time and that it had accumulated 64.50 flying hours.

The AIR International article briefly summarizes the contents of the link Brian provided.

According to an article by Roger Freeman, writing under the pseudonym Lee Gover, co-pilot 1st Lt Follett Bradley Jnr was the first member of the USAAF to be killed on active service during the Second World War. Nothing new there otherwise.

Robert

Thanks

Thanks for all the links and additional information and to Richard Allenby who has been trawling through much information for his website, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 27th November 2014 at 08:52.