Thread: Fleet Air Arm - cwgc deaths 1939-47

Thanks

Default Fleet Air Arm - cwgc deaths 1939-47

I have now extracted to Excel files the Navy deaths commemorated on the cwgc site. The Fleet Air Arm deaths seem extractable by searching for "air" on rank and list airmen as well as engineers etc.

If any one would like a copy of these then drop me a line.

Howard

Thanks

Hi Howard
    Have you included RAF personnel serving aboard RN Carriers? Look at http://www.glarac.com/, which is the Comemmoration Site for those lost aboard the Carrier Glorious plus the destroyers Ardent and Acasta on 8/6/40. In the Casualty list there are about 60 RAF names,indicated by (RAF) after the name. Some of them were being evacuated from the Norwegian Campaign but if you click on the name you will find that many were on FAA Squadrons 802 and 823, and it seems that the Navy still had RAF personnel on the strength, particularly in the a/c servicing echelons, alongside Naval ratings even though the formerly RAF Fleet Air Arm was handed over to the Navy in 1937.A look at http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1939-09SEPT.htm for the Carrier Courageous sunk in Sept 1939 will show similar RAF ranks among the casualties although specific Sqns are not indicated.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 27th November 2007 at 22:14.

Thanks

Hi Dick,

I have already extracted the "RAF" deaths listed on the cwgc indexes and these include the RAF personnel on HMS Courageous . I have started extending this database for 1939 RAF deaths to include the extra details on the individual information pages to see how feasible that is - very slow - so a programme is needed to sequentially read the files and save the extra detail to a database which I assume is possible, but not my area of expertise.

The indexes themselves were relatively easy and I got up to around 2,500 records per hour, cutting and pasting, so the airforce deaths took about a fortnight and the navy deaths about a week. The advantage of having them in Excel format is not huge, but enables them to be searched by rank/service number/regiment - unit which makes finding the WRNS and WAAF's and nurses much easier or listed by date of death, to find possible other members of a particular crew lost.

I had no particular aim in mind when I did it except to note that others might find these features useful and I have been happy to share the fruit of my labours with other researchers with a use for these features.

Regards,

Howard

Thanks

Having already become a beneficiary of Howard's deliberations I can thoroughly recommend them. Already been playing the different categories against each other in 'Data-Sort' whilst acknowledging that there have been other recent postings as to how to access by categories, the standard and restricted surname search that CWGC offers.

I do feel that there is scope here to extend Howard's tome and to add to each casualties 'row' what happened to him/her, aircraft involved, location, circumstances - similar to what Henk has been accumulating. There could then be a complete database - maybe on this site, where "all could be revealed" at one go. Researchers who had concluded their inquiries could submit the additional material for consideration of inclusion. There would have to be an acceptable provenance of the information submitted of course. Some kind of collation between Chorley (BCL), Sturdivant (FAA) etc.

I'm told Utopia is somewhere down the road near the rainbow!!!

Stewart McLoughlin

Thanks

Default Fleet Air Arm - cwgc deaths 1939-47

Hi Howard,

I would like a copy of them files. If you can forward them to me on e-mail - dizzyATonvol.net (pls replace the AT by the obvious) I will appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin