Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loss of a twin engine aircraft from Chivenor 3 OTU (Coastal Command) 27 august 1941

Thanks

Default loss of a twin engine aircraft from Chivenor 3 OTU (Coastal Command) 27 august 1941

Hi all ...

On the August 27th, 1941 a twin engine aircraft (probably Avro Anson ) was reported "missing" in northern Cornwall ; He was from Chivenor 3 (Coastal Command) OTU

would you know if the plane is actually an Anson , who composed his crew?
    Wishing you all a very happy holiday season...

MLT

Thanks

I've just had a quick look at aircraft losses by date and can't find a 3 (C) OTU loss on 27 August, nor 26 or 28 August.

I can find an Anson which crashed off Hartland Point which is North Devon but this could simply be an 'adjustment' of the location from the information you have. As it was in the sea, this might explain the use of the word 'missing'.

It might be that the aircraft was a Beaufort but I need to check dates when those aircraft were at Chivenor.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi

Two possibles could be: -

Sgt BULL, PETER JAMES registered in Camelford and Sgt DOUGLAS, WALTER THOMAS registered in Haverfordwest.

If they came down off Hartland Point perhaps their bodies were washed ashore at different places.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks for your help, very kind...

I think the nicest idea is to have a look to the 3 OTU ORB about this subject

Many thanks all

MLT

Thanks

Hello,

Anson I L7072 of No.5(C)OTU, ditched off Hartland Point, North Devon, on 26-8-1941 (The Anson File/Sturtivant. p.46).

NB. My old A-B 'L' serials register, quotes date as, 27-8-1941

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th December 2014 at 06:43.

Thanks

MLT,

Col has recorded the aircraft I was referring to in my earlier post. My RAF FT and Support Units book (Sturtivant/Hamlin/Halley) states that 5 Coastal OTU was at Chinvenor at the time of this loss.

Do you have access to the RAF Forms 1180 at the RAF Museum? I'm sure there will be a card for this loss and it might be a quicker route than searching the ORB's unless you have easy access to them.
    Colin Cummings

Thanks

I interviewed yesterday P R O Kew. Requesting the ORB page of 3 OTU for this date. I was told that this research was specific, and that I had used to come there ... I am looking for a solution. I'll ask a friend who regularly visits the UK.
    I think the result of this research lead us to unexpected details. The pilot about which I wonder and who disappeared was called Sapieha, so it is not in the crews of 5 OTU ...
    Thank you all for your help. MLT

Thanks

2/Lt C Sapieha FAFL was flying the borrowed No.5 OTU aircraft.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I had not the knowledge that would have allowed me to consider the hypothesis of a loan between the two OTU
    Ross ... thank you!
    Do you know who the members of this Anson crew, and what was the serial of this plane?
    I thank you in advance and present you my best wishes for 2015

MLT

Thanks

Seeking some clarification please. Post #3 mentions Sergeant Walter Thomas Douglas.
    He is listed by CWGC as Walter Thomas Douglas age 20 Sergeant/U/T Wireless Op./Air Gunner (987549) Coastal Command, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, died 27 August 1941 and buried in the family plot in Langholm Cemetery, Dumfriesshire. The cemetery records show "found in the sea at Pembroke Dock" and his death was registered at Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire in the December Quarter of 1941. He was buried in Langholm on 16 October.

I am confused about which aircraft of which OTU was lost.
    A Wikipedia entry for the 3 OTU has:
    "The unit formed at RAF Chivenor[1] training crews for various aircraft including Bristol Beauforts, Avro Ansons, Vickers Wellingtons and Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys. On 29 July 1941 the Whitleys and Wellingtons moved to RAF Cranwell and the Beaufort section became No. 5 Operational Training Unit RAF (5 OTU) when it re-formed at Chivenor on 1 August 1941. 3 OTU then moved to RAF Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire where it was disbanded on 4 January 1944 and absorbed into No. 6 Operational Training Unit RAF (6 OTU)"

Does this mean that Walter was in an Anson of 3 OTU based at Haverfordwest when he died????

Ken