Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Suicide

Thanks

Default RAF Suicide

This is a rather sensitive topic, but would anyone know if someone serving in the RAF during WW2 committed suicide would that be recorded as a War death and appear as such on memorials etc. or would the fact that it was a suicide mean that no mention would be made of the individual.
    Thanks
    John

Thanks

I would think that it would come under D.O.A.S, as i know of a WAAF who comes under that category, and she is on CWGC. Can you PM me with a name if ok, and i'll check.
    Alan.

Thanks

I've come across a few of these whilst researching airmen and airwomen from NE England. They're all listed on the CWGC website, and their names also appear on local war memorials.

As mentioned by Alan, they're listed as "Died on Active Service" in the Casualty Communiques in Flight Magazine.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I read an article awhile back, on bbc.co.uk - WW2 People's War - Royal Air Force, titled 'An Airman's Son'. It is a recount of the author's discovery of the circumstances leading to the death of his father, Squadron Leader Maurice Roy Skeet (39800). S/L Skeet committed suicide on 26 June 1942. He can be found on CWGC.

Thanks

Thanks Simon for your reply.
    John

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, most helpful.
    John

Thanks

I can confirm that an officer, under whom my father served, committed suicide. Furthermore, I know of two officers who committed suicide and both are recorded on the RAF Roll of Honour in St Clement Danes but are not recorded on the AFM at Alrewas, as the circumstances do not warrant it. A third officer is said to have committed suicide in a married quarter, which my wife subsequently occupied, but I do not know his name nor can I confirm the story as fact.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin. Would you know if there's any way I could check whether the person I know, is recorded on the AFM at Alrewas, without actually visiting the site?
    thanks again
    john

Thanks

Yes, when you enquire about a person, you are really asking if he/she is a deceased service person. When their record is displayed, it shows lots of information but there are two questions: a. are they on the Roll of Honour?, b. are they recorded of the walls of the AFM? Your person should have 'Yes' for question a and 'No' for question b.

Nobody tracks your query because there will be - say - twenty people called BUGGINS who were in the Army. You then select which BUGGINS you want but it won't tell you the precise cause of death and so no embarrassment is caused.

Hope this explains it.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin.