Thread: 207 Sqn 22/23 May 1944 Brunswick

Thanks

Default 207 Sqn 22/23 May 1944 Brunswick

Gentlemen,
    I am trying to fin out any information that you may have regarding a mid-upper gunner (Sgt. Reg Johnstone) who was badly wounded on the night of 22/23 of May 1944 while flying as part of the crew of a 207 Squadron Lancaster, EM-F flown by P/O Grant on the raid to Brunswick from their base at Spilsby, Lincs.
    Reg died two days later and is buried near his home in Croydon, Surrey.

I would be interested to hear of any direct reports regarding enemy action or subsequent information that can help me piece together what happened that night.
    P/O Grant went on to fly another Lanc some nights later so I assume their aircraft was attacked on the Brunswick raid but returned to Spilsby with Reg as a casualty.

All information and help is much appreciated as I am trying to find out what happened on behalf of his sister.

Thanks

Hello Peakfrean,

According to the summary of events in the Operations Record Book of 207 Sqdn: One aircraft (P/O Grant) badly shot up and mid upper gunner (Sgt Johnstone) killed.

And according to the details of operations of Lancaster LM543 and crew in the same ORB: Aircraft damaged by fighters. Starboard outer (engine, Hans), tail wheel shot away, port wheel damaged. Crashed on landing.

It's not much but I hope it's of some help.

Kind regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hans, thank you so much.
    That is more than his sister has ever known.
    it seems her brother was wounded while trying to defend the aircraft from a fighter attack.

Thank you.

Thanks

Hello Peakfrean,

During the research of my forthcoming book the Nachtjagd War Diaries 2nd edition (due out in 2016), I have identified the following German claimant:

Oblt. Heinz Ferger: 11 3./NJG3 4-mot (NW-SE) Groningen (DO-CN): 5.800 m. 00.17 207 Sqn Lancaster LM543 (damaged). Note: attacked and severely damaged by 'two Ju88s' 10 km SW of Groningen at 00.20 hrs flying at 18,000 ft., MUG KIA, aircraft crashed on landing. Claim Oblt. Ferger confirmed by OKL as full victory on 18.8.1944

I would be interested to know if the sister of Sgt. Johnstone has a photo of him and his crew, and which I could use for possible publication in my new book? You can contact me at

theoboitenATgmail.com (AT = @)

Best wishes, Theo

Thanks

Theo, I have a few pictures of Reg but will contact his sister and see if she has any full crew photos.
    Thank you and I will be in touch.