Thread: Germman time abbreviation 'DST'

Thanks

Default Germman time abbreviation 'DST'

I would appreciate some help from our Continental members in respect of the German abbreviation "DST" used during WW2. I've found some original German met charts on which the time datum is given as "DST"; this has been interpreted by an English researcher as (Double) Daylight Saving Time; I'm sure this is in error as a British standard would not be used on a German chart during the war (or ever). I suspect the 'D' is 'Deutsches' but the S and T defeat me. I'm sure the 'T' is not 'Time' as the German word for 'time' is 'Zeit'. The only thing that crosses my mind is that the 'ST' is an abbreviation for 'Standard' - which would make the whole abbreviation 'Deutsches Standard'.

Can anyone help, please?

Brian

Thanks

Daylight saving time.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/chan...rlin?year=1940

worth a look.
    Paulh

Thanks

Many thanks, Paul, but as I indicated in my opening post it is extremely unlikely that Germany would have used English words in preference to German. I've been searching the web for an answer, unsuccessfully I'm afraid. Part of the problem is that all the websites are in English, so, naturally, they use the English definition.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian

I have got out my Deutsch-Englisch (and vice versa) Collins Reference Dictionary and in the Deutsch section there is no DST abbreviation.

However, when referring to the English-German part there is a "Daylight Saving Time" which gives "n Sommerzeit f."

Looking up "Sommerzeit" in the Deutsch part means "summer time", so DST on your German Met Charts is Summer time.

I think The Times, London, mentioned the German time difference in the summer, for some years in WW2.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 8th January 2015 at 21:02.

Thanks

Further to Post #4

The Times (London) Saturday 19th August 1941

GERMAN SUMMER TIME TO CONTINUE

“Summer Time is to be continued in Germany throughout the winter. German time will thus be one hour ahead of British time, as in pre-war winters.”

Thanks

Many thanks, Mark, much appreciated.

Brian