Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt. DH Jeeves

Thanks

Default Sgt. DH Jeeves

I am conducting research into my great Uncle, Dennis Herbert Jeeves 15 Sqdn.

He was second pilot on Short Stirling N6018 which was shot down over France on 19th July 1941.

I have already found out quite a few details surrounding his short RAF service and the details of his crash, but there are still a few things I'd like to find out.

I have a reasonable amount of letters, telegrams and a few photos which I have been digitising over the past few months, which I can post up if they would be of interest.

One of the main things I would like to try and find out the location where his Stirling went down with a view to visiting at some point in the future, but I'm not sure on how to go about finding this out? I have details that it was near Killem, 2km SW of Hoondeschoote. Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Hello

I've researched this crash as well, as it occured within my research area. I don't have a location more precise than Killem. I haven't found a French Gendarmerie report for this crash, although I found one for the fall of 10 bombs in the neighboring village of RexpoŽde at tjhe time of the crash. It is known that the Stirling jettisonned their bombs on Dunkirk, when the primary target of Sequedin power station (near Lille, and even closer to my home) couldn't be attacked due to cloud cover. I incline to think that the bombs at RexpoŽde came from Stirling N6018.
    I have Piper's and Armstrong's PoW questionnaires, the former gave Killem as place of capture, the latter gave "St Omer", which is much further away.
    I'd be interested in the documents you have.
    My e-mail address is in my profile, or I can send you an e-mail off board.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss, I will send over some of the paperwork I have. Would you be able to send me a copy of the POW questionnaires please? I'd like to add them to my research. Amongst my paperwork I have a letter that Piper sent to Dennis' parents after the war. I have a copy of the ORB for the raid too

Tim
    Last edited by Djtjuk87; 7th January 2015 at 23:01.

Thanks

Guys,

Let me know if l can help in any way. Joss, Was Armstrong an IXc captive?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentosWar.com

Thanks

Hello Nick

Indeed, he was there from 19th July 1941 (sic, obviously after he'd been through Dulag Luft) until April 1942. I can forward you his PoW questionnaire if needed.

Tim, I've e-mail you so you can reply back.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

I think he was G Armstrong in which case l have it, thanks.

He would have been posted out of Bad Sulza at the same time as my Father.

Tim, l would be interested in what you have also please and can help you with details on Bad Sulza.

Anything else l can help on this?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry but i don't seem to have any information about G Armstrong. My great grandparents wrote to the family of all the crew members, but as Armstrong was RCAF, this may not have been the case. If i come across anything i will be sure to let you know. One of the letters i have does make reference to a letter from Sgt Armstrong, but i believe this was sent back to the family of DG Symondson

Tim

Thanks

For part of my research I am trying to find records for the earlier part of my Great Uncle's RAF career. I know he had a crash whilst at RAF Cranfield, in which he broke his leg and took the roof off a house! I found a photo of a house in Cranfield with a missing roof the other day, taken in 1940 and the cause was down as aircraft damage, too close to be a coincidence i'm sure, but i'd be interested to find out some more information about this if possible. Is there a certain place such an accident would be logged? I believe he was flying an Airspeed Oxford.

In particular i am looking for the ORBs for 14 SFTS 1940, 3 FTS 1941 and 20 OTU 1941. Does anybody have a copy of any of these? Or is a trip to Kew required?

Tim

Thanks

Hello Tim,

It seems you have your great uncle's record of service, as you list his units.

A visit to Kew would probably help to access these ORBs

14 SFTS is in AIR 29/561 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7160839

3 FTS should read 3 SFTS (they were renamed at some point, just pre-war if my memory serves me well), later became AFU for Advanced Flying Unit
    AIR 29/553 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4100262

20 OTU in AIR 29/664 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4100373

I have some bits from 3 SFTS ca August 1940 (course 35), as one my of other research subjects was in this course. I didn't spot Dennis' name in it.

Other places where accidents would be recorded would be the AVIA series, also in Kew, more specifically the AVIA 5, but not all reports were kept, or they were stolen at one point.

Otherwise there's usually an accident report (form 1180), which are held by the Department of Research and Information Service (DoRiS) at the RAF Museum Hendon, but if you contact them, you need to give them the exact date of the crash / loss. They wouldn't be able to search the whole microfilm for you. You can do that research yourself, if you're visiting the reading room (by appointment), but note that sometimes only the pilot's name is recorded, not the passengers names. But in the case of a pupil pilot and a flying instructor, both names could be recorded (but no guarantee).

Hope this helps.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

That's great thank you. I have just submitted a quote request to Kew so i'll see what they come back with. Yes I have his record of service, my grandfather obtained a copy from RAF Innsworth a few years back, i can email over a copy if it would be of interest?

His accident was on 12/05/1940 and he was then admitted to RAF Hospital Halton

This local website has quite a bit of information regarding Dennis, http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/war...evesD1941.html

Tim