Thread: Iron Cross for P/O Prune ?

Thanks

Default Iron Cross for P/O Prune ?

Many have heard the story - but was it true ?

The tale is that of a Luftwaffe document discovered after Berlin was occupied. The paper was headed with a swastika and eagle and bore the facsimile signature Hermann Goering himself. It was supposedly a recommendation that, in view of the number of Allied aircraft he had destroyed, "Pilot Officer Percy Prune" be awarded the Iron Cross !

By the way, did the Germans have an equivalent of Pilot Officer Prune in their training literature ?

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

Mr. Google found a copy of document you mentioned:

http://www.airmuseum.ca/mag/0505.html

But from my personal point of view it seems to be a good joke rather than the real story...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

By the way, did the Germans have an equivalent of Pilot Officer Prune in their training literature ?
    Slightly offtangent, but in the various RIAF journals published 1942-44, there was an Indian equivalent of P Prune, titled Limpo/Popo Charya (or something sounding similar.. ). the character seemed to have been created especially for the Indian units involved. The journal was published for about an year and half or two.. and the character appeared maybe half a dozen times or so..

Added later: The character was named Limpopo Charya. which was NOT a regular indian name.. but he appeared in the first issue of the RIAF Journal. As pointed out by a friend at that time.. limpopo was the name of a river in Africa.. Charya sounds barely Indian.. a corruption of "Acharya" or "Learned one".
    Last edited by Jagan; 9th January 2015 at 16:51.

Thanks

Doesn't the poem go along the lines of: 'the great, grey, greasy Lompopo river, all set about with fever trees'?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

The "certificate" was undoubtedly a joke and a forgery - what I was getting at was whether the "certificate" was forged in Britain - or would the Germans have known enough about Prune that a Berlin staff officer with a sense humour have created it ? On consideration, I guess it would be the former (whoever heard of a staff officer of any nation endowed with a sense of humour ?).

Thanks

Hught I got your point at least:-)
    Well I would say that it would be speculation only...
    As the date is 1.4.1942, the All Fools' Day, it could be possible that it was done by the Germans as in 1942 they can allow such a kind of joke, in later years I would say that for such a joke you can get a bullet.
    The question is when this document was first published? If in 1945 and it will be forged in the UK why there will be just year 1942 on the certificate?

Just my thoughts...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz