Thread: RAF/USAAF aircraft crashes over the UK 7 April 1945

Thanks

Default RAF/USAAF aircraft crashes over the UK 7 April 1945

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any information on any Allied aircraft (particularly multi-engined) crashes or disappearances on 7 April 1945 in the Lincolnshire/North Yorkshire areas?

Thanks in advance...

RodM

Thanks

Hi Rod

I can't see any RAF losses on that date in those areas.

Malcolm

Thanks

The only USAAF 4 engine loss on the 7th was at Acle in Norfolk. You're not thinking about the crash of B-17G 43-37667 on Meltham Moor near Huddersfield on the 6th?
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Malcolm and Al,

thanks for the replies.

I was trying to understand a entry in the flying logbook of a LW night fighter pilot. He flew a sortie from Leck in the early evening of 7 April in a Ju88 and landed again around four hours later. The logbook notes a victory claim over a four-engined aircraft, "probably a Halifax" in the area of "Grimsby" or "Grymsby".

I, firstly, had doubts that the Ju88 flew to the English coast, and had wondered if "Grimsby" was actually Grimsbyvej in Denmark, but there was no Allied air activity that I can identity in northern Germany in the early evening.

I have, however, just found another logbook entry for another LW night fighter pilot who flew a reconnaissance sortie off the northern English coast in a Ju88 on the evening of 13 April...

Hence, I was just trying to establish if there were any Allied air crashes off the coast of the UK that could have been a result of air combat on 7-8 April 1945, which may explain or corroborate the strange logbook entry and confirm the flight was made to the coast of the UK...

Regards

Rod

Thanks

On 20 March 1945, Halifax NA316 of 1665 HCU was shot down near RAF wittering whilst on a night cross country. I understood from other published sources that this was the last Luftwaffe night interception over Eastern England.

In early April there were a number of Halifax and Stirling losses whilst undertaking SD sorties over Denmark and Norway and a case of a Stirling which dived into the sea off Cromer on 2 April but I can't get any nearer to 7 April than that.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

thanks for the additional info.

The War Cabinet Weekly Resume of the Naval, Military, and War Situation from 0700 5th April to 0700 12 April 1945, states:

"United Kingdom. 37. Fighter Command flew 34 defensive sorties. No enemy activity against this country has been reported."

The Resume for the following week doesn't even bother to include a paragraph for the United Kingdom under 'Air Situation'...

The LW logbook entry has a take-off time from Leck in Schleswig-Holstein of 18.22 hrs on 7 April, and a landing time at Leck of 22.31 hrs on 7 April, with a flight time of 231 minutes. The comments written in about the flight state: "122 Raum Grymsby. Abschuß eines 4mot. Feindflugzeuges, vermutlich Halifax, um 20.10 am Platz Grimsby." ([operational flight nr] 122. Grymsby area. Air victory one four-engined enemy aircraft, probably a Halifax, at 20.10 hrs in Grimsby). I'm not sure if 'platz' is short for 'Flugplatz' (airfield) in this instance.

Cheers

Rod