Thread: Fishpond

Thanks

Default Fishpond

I've been searching for details for Fishpond. Google gives a number of links, but only two of any note - an entry on Wikipedia and a query raised here in 2007. Does anyone have anything by way of a user instruction for Fishpond, or even just the general specs - especially range? I know it had a 600-1000' blind spot directly below, and I've seen a performance report that says operators would typically see around 5 friendly returns when crossing enemy coast (i.e. high stream concentration). Grateful for any further info!

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks

Richard,
    Ian The Radar will know (or know who does!!). He was on another circuit earlier today (that's if he hasn't been blown away!!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS Presume you've seen http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/11592.php?
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th January 2015 at 14:17. Reason: Added PS
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter, I saw the earlier thread which gives a basic outline. It's funny, I seem to have lots of information for Visual Monica, but Fishpond is a bit of a mystery. I'll keep fingers crossed that Ian the Radar can lift the veil!

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard
    I tried Google for Fishpond Radar and came up with a site for the Duxford Radio Society plus a couple of Canadian sites that dealt with H2S, ASV and Fishpond. Fishpond is also dealt with (apparently) in the documents of AIR14/1280. Fishpond seems to have been a use of a redundant characteristic of H2S, namely , the dead spot under the a/c produced by the reflection of the ground surface and therefore starting at a distance from the radar aerial depending on the a/c altitude. If any a/c strayed between your a/c and the surface it would show as a return in the "blind spot",because it was closer than the ground, hence the ref. that you gave to the possible 5 or so a/c being seen enroute. There was a separate small display in the W/ops position and he could use this to warn the crew of possible other a/c and the pilot could manoeuvre to bring the "target" into the view of a gunner. How it was used I don't know but a stalking fighter is likely to show by it's movement being different to the Bomber stream which would stay more or less static w.r.t to your a/c
    Hope This Helps
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 10th January 2015 at 20:06.

Thanks

Hi

I've found some links related to Fishpond. But a better description will you find in the book "Echoes of War: The Story of H2S Radar by Sir Bernard Lowell".

http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/Sands...20book%202.pdf

by F/O James Sands RCAF

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsle...ping_radar.pdf

http://home.btconnect.com/gmb/ari.htm

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

The minimum range of Fishpond was about 300 yards. The maximum range was the height of the aircraft above the ground. This comes from the official history of RAF Signals Volume III Aircraft Radio.

Thanks

Dick, Finn, Ian, thanks for your responses and information, much appreciated!