Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster rear gunner info.

Thanks

Hi Strumpet,

welcome aboard!
    Do you know at least if he was officer on NCO?
    For officers you can make a try at The London Gazette search engine.
    Otherwise you can try to post his name here, maybe some of the members researching Lancaster squadrons struck his name during his research...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Lancaster rear gunner info.

Hi guys, Can anyone point me in the correct direction as to how i go about finding any information with regards to my father in laws father, he was a rear gunner in a Lancaster, apart from his name and dob, that is all i have, and a few photos, I know he survived the war and passed away in 1989. If you can even let me know what threads to look through i would be grateful..

kind regards

Strumpet
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Thanks

G'day thank you for that.
    His name was Albert Frederick Bartlett (he was born in 1910) i do not think he was an officer.

Thanks

Strumpet
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Thanks

Albert Frederick Bartlett comes up as 1474449 in AIR/78-10 (he's the only one). The slip is annotated 'LD' (don't know what that means). 1474449 Enlisted Apr-Oct 1941. Doesn't come up in the LG. He would have been 31 when he Enlisted. Bit on the old side? I had hoped that with that age he'd been a Trenchard Brat - or similar. But it looks like he just walked in off the street? Looks like another Service Record job?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

From my book 'Glorious in Solitude' 'The Courage of RAF Rear Gunners'. At aged 56 this was most probably the exception to the rule...

....Sir Arnold Wilson was laid to rest in the Eringhem Churchyard in France with his fellow crew member alongside him. No Commonwealth headstone anywhere celebrates the life of an Air Gunner with such bestowments. Following his name the precisely chiselled letters declare his status KCIE, CSI, CMG, DSO, MP. He was in all probability the oldest ‘Rear Gunner’ to lay down his life for his country......

If the photographs you have show any aircraft that will provide some clues for us. Colin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Albert Frederick Bartlett comes up as 1474449 in AIR/78-10 (he's the only one). The slip is annotated 'LD' (don't know what that means). 1474449 Enlisted Apr-Oct 1941. Doesn't come up in the LG. He would have been 31 when he Enlisted. Bit on the old side? I had hoped that with that age he'd been a Trenchard Brat - or similar. But it looks like he just walked in off the street? Looks like another Service Record job?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Wow thank you so much for the information, amazing. I appreciate you taking your time to find out this for me.

Strumpet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colinpateman View Post
    From my book 'Glorious in Solitude' 'The Courage of RAF Rear Gunners'. At aged 56 this was most probably the exception to the rule...

....Sir Arnold Wilson was laid to rest in the Eringhem Churchyard in France with his fellow crew member alongside him. No Commonwealth headstone anywhere celebrates the life of an Air Gunner with such bestowments. Following his name the precisely chiselled letters declare his status KCIE, CSI, CMG, DSO, MP. He was in all probability the oldest ‘Rear Gunner’ to lay down his life for his country......

If the photographs you have show any aircraft that will provide some clues for us. Colin.
    Thank you Colin, as yet i am still waiting for the photos, i will ask again and then get them put up on here. Thank you for your help.

Strumpet

Thanks

These are the only photos of Albert Bartlett.

Strumpet

Thanks

Nice pictures. The white slip in the hat indicates in training for Aircrew duties and looks like previous service in Air sea Rescue, the Air Gunners brevet with Sergeant stripes would follow and to me it looks like the crew image wearing full flying gear may well be a Lancaster great shame no Squadron identity can be seen. It was worth looking just in case.

Thanks

Strumpet,
    I think this might be a 9 Squadron crew, i have checked all the Bartletts in my list for the ORB's i have, and have found a Sgt A.F. Bartlett in the crew of P/O R.W. Mathers. You'll be interested to know, that if this is your father in law's father, then there is also a combat report submitted by him, available from the N/A's online site at...(hopefully) discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7451506
    Regards...Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 14th January 2015 at 16:24.