Thread: Wellington loss November 1943 Aberdeenshire

Thanks

Default Wellington loss November 1943 Aberdeenshire

In the letters page of my local paper today someone was asking for info re the loss of a Wellington on a training flight from Lossiemouth. The only information given was that the aircraft ran short of fuel on a training flight and the pilot ordered the crew to bale out. The body of a Canadian Pilot Officer (a Navigator) was recovered at Drumoak and his death recorded as having occurred on 25th November 1943. The aircraft eventually crashed at Maryculter (these places not far from one another). It is said that the Pilot and four others onboard survived.

No names of crew are mentioned and no serial number for the aircraft. I have consulted the OTU losses by W R Chorley and also his 1943 volume and can't find any aircraft that ties in with this loss.

I can't be sure if the date of the crash was 25th of November as the letter only states that the death was registered as having occurred on that date but it must be on or around then yet I can find no mention in the loss books.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Thanks & Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

P/O Jack Eckersley Harrison (J/26639) Aged 31 Nav. on Wellington MS482 of 20 OTU killed 25/11/43 buried Atherton Cem., Lancs. crashed Middleton, Kincardineshire. (They Shall not Grow Old)

Thanks

John, very many thanks for that. The location, Middleton, matches the info given in the newspaper. I had already pulled out P/O Jack Eckersley Harrison from the Canadian Virtual War Graves website but had no way of confirming he was 'the man', so thanks to your info I can do that.

What puzzles me is that there is no mention of this loss in Chorleys volume 7 nor in the Amendments to Vol 7 which are listed in Vol 8. I guess it must have slipped through the net which is hardly surprising considering the amount of data he was dealing with.

If anyone else is able to provide details on the rest of the crew onboard, both the survivors and those who died I would be most grateful.

Many thanks again,
    Linzee

Thanks

Linzee,

Not in Chorley, it seems, because MS482 was apparently recovered and made airworthy again, and not being struck off until 11 Mar 48, following service with 40 Sqn, 432 Sqn, 20OTU, 86OTU, 20OTU & 24OTU (Air-Britain serials volume). It must have been a very tired airframe by 1948!

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol,

Many thanks for your informative reply. Still a bit surprised that there isn't an entry in Chorley since there was loss of life involved when the aircraft crashed - or given your info more likely crash landed.

Thanks as always
    Linzee