Thread: RAF officers seconded to Royal Pakistan AF

Thanks

Default RAF officers seconded to Royal Pakistan AF

Gents
    Following partition of India, RPAF was formed, based on assets of RIAF, and with the support of the British. For the following few years, RAF officers served on RPAF, but I understand, they were never members of RPAF, but rather 'borrowed' for service. Does anyone know the exact legal situation, and where I can find a list of such seconded officers?
    TIA

Thanks

Hello Franek,

Does this help?

AIR 2/13601: Exchange of officers between the RAF and Pakistan Air Force: conditions of service

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Franek.
    I understand several Polish men who served in the RAF were offered opportunities to join the RPAF. Several of those were stateless, if you should investigate the connection provided by Bruce I would be keen to know if the Polish contingent are identified in any way.

Regards. Colin.

Thanks

Bruce
    I have no idea. I am trying to check, what is available around, and then to go to various archival resources. It seems there are a few files worthy to have a look.

Colin
    Polish airmen joined RPAF, being no member of any air force at the time, and were assigned service numbers within the RPAF system. I am not sure what do you mean by identification of the Polish contingent, but if you mean their names, yes, I have a full list of Polish officers with their service details. I am working on a list of NCOs.

Thanks

AVM R L R Atcherley was CAS from 1949 to 1951

Malcolm

Thanks

Drifting the Thread slightly.

As a general point, there are two types of service which fall into the bucket of serving with other air forces. These are 'Loan Service' and 'Exchange Service' and the precise names can be changed to suit specific arrangements.

In Loan Service, the individual is loaned to the other air force. Depending on the agreement, they might assume the ranks and wear the uniforms of the host nation - for example - in Malaya/Malaysia, loan service personnel would wear the Songkok (not the right spellin or even spelling). In recent years Brunei and Oman have been the location of loan service officers. As only the British can, the rules on pay, allowances, seniority etc etc are all laid out in great detail!

Exchange Service, as the name implies, relates to personnel from one country being exchanged and so the incoming personnel would serve in the RAF and alongside their British counterparts. This is not necessarily a direct exchange of specific appointments ie a fighter pilot on Squadron 'A' swaps with another fighter pilot who comes in to serve on squadron 'A' - it can be but it could also be that eg five squadron leaders RAF go to the USAF and five majors USAF come here and there is no direct relationship to their precise posts/roles.

There are also many service personnel who serve with other forces indirectly and also personnel who come for specific training as part of some other deal.

For those involved, there are obviously some places which are more desirable than others - but I'd best leave that alone!!

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 24th January 2015 at 09:56.

Thanks

Franek.

I wonder if you have any information upon Sqn Ldr Zuromski, who took over as OC 5 Squadron in Pakistan. Despite my best efforts with the RPAF records appear to be rather scant.

Many thanks. Colin.

Thanks

Malcolm
    Atcherley was preceded by Perry-Keene and followed by Cannon. There was a number of other RAF officers, however, on other posts.

Colin C
    It is not drifting, but I think just exactly what I need. I assume those RAF officers were on 'Loan Service'. I do not know, how the service in eg. Oman AF was treated, was it purely mercenary service?

Colin P
    I do. He was I think Acting OC 9 Sqn, and OC 5 & 14 Sqns.

Thanks

Loan Service sounds right to me too. I always wondered why Gp Capt J Beaumont of the RAF wore Indian insiginia.. now I know!

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Hi...s/Beaumont.jpg

BTW the picture in the backgorund is G E Gibbs, another RAF officer loaned as CAS. Picture is from 1952