Thread: F/O Herbert Turton RAFVR 83 sqn

Thanks

Default F/O Herbert Turton RAFVR 83 sqn

Hi, I originally posted this in archives but advised to re post it here:

hi there,
    im the grandson of the above mentioned, who was on board PB188 From conningsby on 11th November 1944, which was shot down over Germany. Ten years ago I researched this and I'm trying again now, a quick google threw this up from 10 years ago :

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/05452.php

now, the links to those photos don't work, but both me and my dad would love to know if these photos of my grandad in a POW camp still exist, so would be grateful if anyone can help (it looks as though looking through web archive that a Kerry Turton who I think is my dads neice was also doing some searching at the time, but alas the links to any photos are long dead).

further, I looked at lost bomber.co.uk which suggests that grandad went to a hospital rather than pow camp. We have letters and telegrams from the Red Cross and grandad that he escaped from somewhere, but as the link above suggest, no one can prove this - also the post from Kerry Turton 10 years ago alludes to him being in the Breslau camp at some point. My dad has a vague memory of grandad saying he broke/hurt s ankle in the crash.

any help with either matter would be greatl

Thanks

Interestingly, Clutton-Brock "Footprints on the Sands of Time" does not show any POW information for your grandfather.

There should be a POW file and a debrief report somewhere.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Dear Pete
    Will send you some info from the squadron history via e-mail.
    Best wishes
    James