Thread: P/O Norman Jackson Smith, 235 Squadron, 1940.

Thanks

Default P/O Norman Jackson Smith, 235 Squadron, 1940.

Hallo,

P/O Norman Henry Jackson Smith of 235 Squadron was involved in a taxying accident with Blenheims at North Coates on 10 March 1940. He caused damage to K7136 and L1183 according to the ORB. However it does not indicate which aircraft he was in charge of at the time.
    I cannot find any trace of this incident in 'COASTAL DAWN' by Andy Bird, even though Jackson Smith is a prominent character throughout.

Can anyone please tell me which of the above Blenheims Jackson Smith was taxying at the time ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

There might be a way to figure this out with the aid of North Coates ORB or its appendices. Usually only radio/individual codes are mentioned in that ORB as also for this incident. Cross refering with earlier entries of K7136 and L1183 in the Squadron ORB and codes in the ORB North Coates may give the tie-up between codes and serials.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hallo Hans,

Thanks for the reply. I have the North Coates ORB for March 1940 but there is no such detail in it. I also have the Appendices but they only begin in mid-April 1940 ! So no joy there. I will probably have to obtain the F.78s and F.1180s for both, but that will not guarantee success either.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

There are 2 other possibilities: the appendices of 16 Group ORB (AIR25/311) and/or appendices Coastal Command ORB (AIR24/something). In the past I managed to filter out details in these appendices which weren't mentioned in the ORBs at Squadron or Station level.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hallo Hans,

Thanks again. These I will have to check on a future visit to Kew.

Regards,

Martin.