Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: W/Cmdr Guy Gibson

Thanks

Default W/Cmdr Guy Gibson

In the latest edition of "Britain at War" magazine there appears an article concerning the demise of W/Cmdr Guy Gibson that concludes he was shot down by the crew of a returning Lancaster whose gunners mistook his Mosquito for a Ju88 night fighter. If anyone has read this article it would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the articles conclusion.

Ian

Thanks

This was banged out last November, probably best to add to that old thread rather than create a new one sayign the same thing.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9726-Guy-Gibson-s-death

google: guy gibson site:rafcommands.com
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

An ample article on Guy Gibson will appear in the October issue of the "Britain at War Magazine" ...."Who killed the Dambuster ?".

Henk.

Thanks

Dennis/Henk,

Thanks for your input, I had not seen the previous post and have not read "Thundering Through the Clear Air", by Derek Brammer and so cannot compare the conclusions/evidence presented within against the magazine article.

Ian

Thanks

There was an article in yesterday's [11th] Telegraph that a gunner mistook Gibson's Mosquito for a Junkers 88 and fired on it, causing it to crash .He gave a taped confession to his wife just before he died in 1992. If it is true an awful burden to carry all his life but a mistake in the heat of battle .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/world-war-2/8817932/Dambusters-hero-killed-by-friendly-fire.html

Anne

Thanks

Well, it would not be anything unusual, as all cats are grey at night. I know of a Polish Mosquito being seriously damaged by a nervous Stirling gunner, so it is quite reasonable. Mosquitoes were mistaken for Ju 88 even in a daylight, sometimes with fatal results.
    The question is, if this story could be somehow corroborated, and I am curious on how the man realised he downed Mosquito.

Thanks

Franek
    According to the Telegraph article the gunner only realised when he he attended a debriefing the next day.
    A report in the NA , previously classified, was unearthed by a WW2 researcher in which it describes the attack on what they thought was a Junkers 88 -report by the crew.

To paraphrase --When we got back we claimed a Junkers 88 shot down ,the next day they were quizzed by a RAF Intelligence Officer who said a Mosquito had been shot down and how the two planes were very similar .

Newspaper articles often have the wrong facts, of course !

Anne

Thanks

Anne
    Thanks for the clip. Yes, if it was the way as described in the newspaper, it makes a perfect sense. Many such incidents were identified, but removed from books and classified. It is interesting, what is the file, the report was found in.

Thanks

Sorry Franek
    No idea of the file .I suppose if one went to the NA it would be under Guy Gibson
    Anne

Thanks

Hello Anne and Franek,

The "Britain at War" magazine aricle has copies of the official docs from the NA, if this interests you I can scan and email copies ?

Please send PM (email) to me.

Ian