Thread: 744591 Cpl Herbet John Pike - mid?

Thanks

Default 744591 Cpl Herbet John Pike - mid?

Hi
    I am doing some research for Herbert's granddaughter Sarah. We think that Herbert was awarded an mid but can't find it in the London Gazette. Unfortunately his discharge book has also been lost. He was a carpenter who had a varied history including AD, MU, OTU units plus 627 and 116 Sqn. Is there some way we can find out if he was awarded an mid (she has contacted the medals office but has been told it could take 3 months) and if so when? I am aware we are unlikely to find out why unless we can find out when as that will tell me which units F540s to check.
    Please help.
    Dee

Thanks

There are several ways.

First, the Record of Service. This is the most important document for an individual and records almost everything of importance and provides the 'door' to much else as well.

Second, what photographic records are available for this man? Is there a box of memorabilia in the attic, correspondence or living friends and relatives who might have some details?

If it's possible to narrow down when the MID was awarded, the RAF Form 540 for that unit is very likely to have recorded this.

At RAF Hendon, the organisation called DORIS has a cardex system in which honours and awards are recorded in manuscript. An enquiry to them might help - they are always very helpful. I understand that the records were compiled from the Air Ministry Bulletins (AMBs). If you can get to Hendon, you can do the research yourself.

What leads Sarah to believe her grandfather was awarded an MID? Is it word of mouth or was there the parchment of the award certificate actually seen?

It might now no longer be possible to find out exactly why an MID was awarded but I must tell you candidly, Sarah might be disappointed.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I, too, have had a look and can't find a record of his MiD on the LG site. Michael Maton's 'Honour Those Mentioned' may confirm whether this NCO was awarded an MiD, however, as he used the LG to compile his tome, if it isn't in the Gazette, it won't be in his book. I will look when I get home this evening.

Unlikely to be in the AMBs, as they tend to concentrate on higher awards. Whilst ORBs are always worth a check, I have found them to be particularly inconsistent, even when MiDs are confirmed. Local rags are always worth a check, but once again, you need a date!

I am with Colin though. It ain't looking good!
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

No trace in Maton's book.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hi
    Sarah has a picture and my colleague who is a medals buff confirms that he thinks it has a mid on it but the picture isnt clear enough to confirm conclusively. Sarah's dad is looking to see if there is a better one of his father... As he was in France before Dunkirk I wondered if maybe he might have been awarded a Croix de Guerre as that would not have been in the LG - is that right? Sarah says there were holes in the ribbon which my colleague says is the right one for an mid... His service record has nothing about medals on it and his discharge book as I said is lost in the mists of time.
    Thanks for your comments all. Sarah is really chuffed with all the help she is getting from all different places.
    Dee :)