Thread: S/L J. Morgan A.A.A.

Thanks

Default S/L J. Morgan A.A.A.

I have came across this name, but cannot identify him through the London Gazette or other sources. He could have been involved in diplomatic service - does treble A stand for Assistant Air Attache or Acting Air Attache?
    TIA

Thanks

Franek, Hi,

As far as I can see the only "J. Morgan" who made Sqn Ldr was James Morgan (82673), R.A.F.V.R.

Air Ministry, 1st October, 1943.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards: —
    Distinguished Service Order.
    Acting Squadron Leader James MORGAN (82673), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 682 Squadron (although he is noted in the Sqn history as "J.T.Morgan").

Retirement
    Wing Commander J. MORGAN, D.S.O. (82673). 10th July 1960.

I am not an expert, but I think that a DSO as the only flying post-nominal is a bit unusual? Somebody may care to comment (or even have the Citation)! But that does not solve your "A.A.A." question! But I would bet some of your money on Asst Air Attache!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 1st February 2015 at 15:33.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi
    Thanks, so he somehow slipped my attention. It seems quite an elusive person, there is not much on him on the web. It seems he got a DSO indeed. Here is the quote from the IWM website.

Squadron Leader J T Morgan, Commanding Officer of No. 682 Squadron RAF, talking to the unit's Photographic Officer, Flying Officer R S Fortune, from the cockpit of his Supermarine Spitfire PR Mark XI at San Severo, Italy. James Morgan (1916-1975), a civilian pilot and member of the Scottish Flying Club, was called into the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in 1939 and underwent service flying training at Sywell, Montrose and Silloth. He was posted to No. 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at Benson in February 1941 and undertook a number of photo-reconnaissance sorties over north-west Europe, for which he was mentioned in despatches in June 1942. In May 1943, Morgan was posted to No. 682 Squadron in North Africa, and commanded the Squadron in North Africa and Italy from July 1943 until 31 July 1944. During this time, he was awarded the DSO for his photo-reconnaissance sorties over the Anzio and Cassino fronts.