Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 330 (Norwegian) Sqn Sunderland III serial NJ181, lost over the NorthSea 04.10.1944

Thanks

Default 330 (Norwegian) Sqn Sunderland III serial NJ181, lost over the NorthSea 04.10.1944

This is my first thread, and it is a question close to my heart.

I have started a local history project on my home island of Vaerlandet on thewest coast of Norway, where I interview the elders to save the oral historiesin the area. Some of these histories are about the WW2. We have an obelisk onour local graveyard with the names of the persons who gave their lives for ourcountry. Some in the navy, the air force or as prisoners in the consentration campsdue to illegal resistance (hiding weapons from Shetland etc..)

One of the names on this obelisk is Vemund Melvær, "04.10.1944, fellduring air raid over Norway", it is written in stone. I have been toldthey were lost somewere west of Utvær Lighthouse.

The information I have managed to gather online is fromthe late Henk Welting:

330 (Norwegian) Sqn lost Sunderland III serial NJ181,coded WH-Z, over the NorthSea off the Norwegian coast 04.10.1944.

Fenrik(Pilot) Sigmund A. JOHNSON - born 22-7-1917.
    Kvm (2nd Pilot) Finn BORCHGREVINK - born 25-3-1915.
    Kvm (Fe/Ag) Kjell ERDMANN - born17-1-1922
    Kvm (Fe/Ag) Sigurd K. FRISVOLD - born 22-2-1922.
    Kvm (Nav/Ba)Kaj A. GREEN - No.2111 (from Denmark).
    Kvm (WOp/Ag) Otto S. BJØRVIK - born 13-3-1923.
    Kvm(WOp/Ag) Evald S. ERLANDSEN - born 5-3-1912.
    Kvm(WOp/Ag) Per O.W. FJELBERG - born 21-2-1920.
    Kvm (Ag)Fritjof LAVOLL - born 20-9-1915.
    Kvm (Ag) Vemund MELVÆR - born 1-2-1922.

I hope somebody can provide me with some information regarding this plane.

Best regards

Bengt
    Last edited by MasterBengt; 2nd February 2015 at 04:55.

Thanks

Bengt
    Welcome to the forum. I am researching the Danish crew member Kaj Aage Green, who was part of the crew, cf.
    http://danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=g&id=29

Perhaps you already know this, but the 330 Sqn Operational Record Book status the following:

Take off 10.45

"LINE PATROL IN AREA UTVÆR - 61°00'N, 04°00'E - 58°00'N, 04°30'E - LISTER

1750 MFC(!) "R/B immediately". org 1. Nothing further heard."

I have tried to show the area on the following map
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Q.ktBJoyG7kEYA

Regards

Mikkel
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 2nd February 2015 at 05:59.
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello ,

Here somthing more on the crew of Sub/Lt Johnsen. According to the Fly Past magazine page 84 issue february 2015 :

On May , 1916 1944 Sub Lt CT Johnson and crew in JM667 spotted U-240 en route to Narvik.During its second run JM667 was seriously hit by flak and Quartermaster Johansen in the turrett was killed.Johnsen gallantly pressed home his attack and his depth charges shattered the U-boat , wich sank stern first. In spite of the severe damage , the crippled Sunderland returned safely.

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Uboat.net suggest that the information on U-240 was one line of thinking that is now uncertain:

Fate: Listed as missing in the North Sea west of Norway on 17 May 1944.
    No explanation exists for its loss. 50 dead (all hands lost).

Previously recorded fate: Sunk 16 May, 1944 northeast of the Faroes, in position 63.05N, 03.10E, by depth charges from a Norwegian Sunderland aircraft (Sqdn. 330/V). (Postwar assessment)
    Notes. This attack was in fact against U-668 inflicting no damage.

Martyn

Thanks

Thank you Mikkel!

Do you know where I could find the 330 Sqn Operational Record Book?

I know Vemund Melvær left Bulandet, Norway on the 28 feet "M/S Viking" 10.08.1941 and arrived in [COLOR=#3e3e3e]Lerwick on 12.08.41. I have no information on him on regards to training, joining the 330 Sqn....

There might be some records of this attack in Herlda Museum north of Bergen, (The airfield the german fighters used).

I am due to visit his family the next month, so I`m grateful for all information.

Regards

Bengt

Thanks

Years ago the ORBs for 330, 331, 332, 333 were digitized by some of your fellow countrymen. I do not now if it is still around. If not it can be viewed and purchased via National Archives, cf.
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...e/r/h/C2504365

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Seems to be online via
    http://www.luftkrigsskolen.no/airfor...s/Default.aspx

You have to register.

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel, I got the Sqn Operational Record Book from the link you posted, thank you very much.

Have you been able to trace where Kaj Aage Green where on previous missions? training, places, iceland? before they moved to Sullom Voe?

Did the crew stik to their captain? it is noted in the ORB Fenrik(Pilot) Sigmund A. JOHNSON was on several test flights between missions. Was the whole crew with him on these tests, and just noted by the captain`s name?

I see it might be hard to find out how and when Vemund Melvær joined the service, and follow him to the end...

Have you been able to roughly pin-point the position of the crash?

Best regards

Bengt

Thanks

Form 541 as a general rule only lists operational missions. Form 540 in this case is very brief and does not give much information. I know that K A Green arrived at the squadron on 17.06.44 and are thus able to trace him to the ORB stating "2 crew arrived from No. 4 OTU, Alness" on this date. I have found no reference to S.A. Johnsen flying at the squadron earlier than that, and thus suppose, that they arrived as a crew. Green is flying his first mission on 25.06.44. You will notice, that Melvær is mentioned on 24.06.44 for the first time as part of Lt. Th. Nielsen's crew.

I have a gould track of Green's service record. Melvin would have followed another training path than Green given he is A/G. They both trained at Little Norway.

Alain and Martyn, please be aware that Carl Thorleif Johnsen and Sigmund Arvid Johnsen are not the same person.

Mikkel

Thanks

Hej

The Norwegian author Halvor Sperbund published for some years ago a book with the title "Brennpunkt Westkyste".

Based on German sources, he had a theory that Sunderland NJ181 was claimed by a Bf 110 from Herdla, in the sea NW off Holmengraa Lighthouse (Holmengrå fyr).

Think you can borrow the book from the local library.

Best regards

Finn Buch