Thread: Get service number from a name.

Thanks

Default Get service number from a name.

Hello all
    does anyone know how I could find a WW2 RAF service number from a man's name, online if possible?
    many thanks
    John

Thanks

John, Hi,

If your man Enlisted then it is almost certain that he will be in the AIR 78 series of files in TNA (these are big files and very tedious to go through). It would be easier/better if you had the full forenames. Even with a fairly common Surname, provided the Forename initials were fairly unusual, it is often the case that the guy can be tracked down (or, at least, the possibilities reduced to reasonable numbers!). But just “J. Smith” can cause problems!!!!

If your man was eventually Commissioned then it is possible, by using the various published search engines to isolate the Commissioned Officer (and his Officer’s Number). These can be used with the Air Force List(s). Similar procedures can be used with The London Gazette. Prior to c.1951 if an Officer was Commissioned from the Ranks then he would have had an Enlistment Number. Both are normally shown in the Commissioning Gazetting. After c.1951 numbers did not change on Commissioning so an Officer’s Number would be the same as his Enlisted Number (provided, of course, that he was not Commissioned directly from Civilian).

If you give us what you know about your man then I am sure somebody on the forum will be able to track him down!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Tom, I'll have a look in Kew next time I'm up that way.
    Cheers
    john

Thanks

John,
    They can be downloaded for free from
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...etails/r/C2132

you do not have to go their.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Try my name finder to get the file references from the TNA and then download for free

http://www.rafaircraftaccidents.com/search/search.html

More tools and links can be found on the top banner of this forum under "WW2 Online Research Tools"

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.