Thread: Accidental Loss of Hurricane Mk 1 - 43 Squadron

Thanks

Default Accidental Loss of Hurricane Mk 1 - 43 Squadron

On Sunday 27th October 1940, at 10.25 am a Hurricane Mk 1, L1963, from 43 Squadron did a vertical dive into the ground at Congburn Dene near Edmondsley, County Durham. The pilot was Sergeant Leonard Vivian Toogood RAFVR, Service No 758096; he was just 20 years old. There is a suspicion that he was doing aerobatics but there is no firm evidence to back it up.

The Squadron was based at RAF Usworth – the present site of the Nissan car factory and the North East Aircraft Museum. They had recently arrived at Usworth, having taken part in the Battle of Britain and were only temporarily posted there whilst they awaited a posting to the Far East.

Sgt Toogood’s body was taken to Portsmouth and buried in Kingston Cemetery in that city.

Several reports incorrectly name the crash site as Cragburn Dene.

Does anyone have any more information on this pilot and, most especially, a photograph.

Many thanks
    Neville Bougourd

Thanks

Photo and bio here:

http://www.bbm.org.uk/Toogood.htm

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you so much for the fast and excellent response

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

The photograph on the internet of L.V.Toogood is the same photo in the Battle of Britain book and it is not confirmed that this photo is of Leonard.Over the years I have tried to trace any relations with no success.My last appeal is on the internet.I have already pinpointed the crash site of Hurricane L1963.Again the photo has a question mark on it.The full photograph shows this airman lying on a bed playing drafts.

Regards,Philip Smith
    55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Hello Neville

Hurricane I, L1963 of 43 Squadron has been reported by RAF for AIB investigation and given file reference U.782 B per Min of Aircraft Production record.

Nr. Consett (Co. Durham) 27.10.40 1020 hrs. [0 figure has been written over by hand, by what looks to be a 5].

Time in Air 40 mins

Cloud 6/10 4,000' followed by 5 [5 inside a circle]

Type of Investigation F.765C (Recd) F412 (Not Recd )

Further report issued but not received. Aircraft dived in at high speed. A.M. file requisitioned.

[Following added after Remarks were typed into a Table]

File recd. Pilot ordered to climb to 25000 ft and do aerobatics afterwards with oxygen. Oxygen turned on when pilot got in at 0935hrs. New bottle fitted for flight. Details of accident unknown.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 5th February 2015 at 11:33.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toml View Post
    The photograph on the internet of L.V.Toogood is the same photo in the Battle of Britain book and it is not confirmed that this photo is of Leonard.Over the years I have tried to trace any relations with no success.My last appeal is on the internet.I have already pinpointed the crash site of Hurricane L1963.Again the photo has a question mark on it.The full photograph shows this airman lying on a bed playing drafts.

Regards,Philip Smith
    I believe the pilot in the photo referred to above is actually Pilot Officer John Romney Mather of 66 Squadron, who was killed on the same date, flying Spitfire Mk IIa P7539.

Compare with the photo in the following link. P/O Mather is standing, second from the right.

http://hildenboroughhistorysociety.w...ire-pilot.html

Thanks

Hi-As I have mentioned already that I do not think the photograph is of Leonard Vivian Toogood as in the Battle of Britain book.The text on the page does not state that the photo is of L.V.Toogood and also there is no source given as to who supplied the photograph.I contacted the Editor some years ago and they were not able to provide the source or to confirm that the photograph in the book is of Leonard and the photo in the book is below the gravestone for John Romney Mather and I also think the photograph is of Mather.

Regards,Philip

Thanks

Hi all,

A good example of the pitfalls of relying on other peoples labels when identifying aircrew.

I cannot say with any certainty that the picture in Men of the Battle of Britain is either Mather or Toogood although I suspect it is indeed Toogood.
    Sadly I do not have a different picture of either for accurate comparison.

However, the group photograph in the link in post 6 shows 611 Squadron and not 66 or 43.
    As neither Mather or Toogood were in 611 clearly neither can be in the photograph so comparison is pointless.
    Also, you will note that two airmen are labelled MP Brown albeit with different ranks. (MP Brown and NM Brown is better).

Regards
    Gerry

Thanks

Default Looks Like a Toogood

Hi,

On the bases of a vaguely remembered conversation with my father, I believe Leonard was my fathers cousin. His Wallet and parachute were inside the aircraft in good condition when the aircraft was dug up a few years ago. Most probably what was buried in Portsmouth is a sandbag of soil from the crash site, a common practise at the time. The Wallet is held by the RAF Museum, including his ration coupons and money, there might be an ID card.

I have no photo to compare, but there is a strong family likeness, I would go with 99% certain if it could only be one out of two.

Rhys Toogood

Thanks

Hi Rhys-I have sent you an e-mail.For many years I have been trying to trace any relations and a photograph of Leonard with no success and my last appeal article was made in a Portsmouth newspaper in 2010.The only reply I got was from a local chap who looked after Leonard's grave but he did not have a photograph.The North East Aircraft Museum excavated the crash site of Hawker Hurricane L1963 in October,1978 and the crash site which I have visited is quite easy to locate with the landowners permission.I have a few local eyewitnesses who saw the Hurricane come down in a high speed vertical dive.At the time of his death or just after there was no photograph placed in his local newspaper.

Regards,Philip Smith