Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 226 Sqn Blenheim IV, V6365, 4 July 1941

Thanks

Default 226 Sqn Blenheim IV, V6365, 4 July 1941

This aircraft was hit by Flak and ditched off Gravelines on return from Circus 32 on 4 July 1941.

I understand the crew were:

• Sgt Plt Arthur Smith (KIA),
    • Sgt F. J. Hynes (POW), and
    • Flt Sgt William R. Mathias (KIA).

I am trying to establish Hynes' forename, but online resources only give his initials. Moreover, I am a little concerned that Ross' POW list doesn't include him, and I can't find him on the CWGC website, so I'm beginning to think the name might be wrong.

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello

I tried to find his PoW questionnaire in WO 344/156/3 in Kew, but to no avail. From similar cases, there's a possibility he might have been repatriated to U.K. on medical grounds, hence no PoW questionnaire upon liberation in April-May 1945, and not listed in the late war PoW lists.

AIR 78 should be the last option to find his first names and service number.

Joss

Thanks

Joss/Steve,

While I wait for the humungous file AIR 78/83 (1754 MB!) to download on to my steam-driven computer I would think that the smart money will be bet on:-

Births Q3 1921 HYNES Ferris J Pontardawe 11a 2192 [FREEBMD]
    HYNES FERRIS JAMES 1921 2003 2003 Deaths & burials Cockermouth, Cumberland, England. [findmypast]

Additionally, there are pax lists for the "Gripsholm" and "Drottingholm" which were used extensively for PoW medical repats/exchanges before the end of WW2

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 6th February 2015 at 14:30. Reason: Swedish ships
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Steve/Joss/Peter,

A tricky one ! There are two versions online at TNA of both the officers and airmen's POW lists. The earlier airmen's POW list has 581391 F.J. Hynes. His service number is a perfect match for an observer of that period.
    However there is no F.J. Hynes on AIR 78/83/2 with that service number and only a few 'F. Hynes', but go down a little and there he is as '581391 James Ferris Hynes'. It would seem, thanks to Peter's work, that he was born as 'Ferris James' but enlisted as 'James Ferris'. I think I would do the same !

Peter, you have my total sympathy trying to download a large AIR 78 document. I only managed to obtain AIR 78/83 a few months ago after upgrading my broadband. I had failed to do so over the previous 2-3 years.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin (et al)
    My computer gave up the ghost - Boy Scouts with semaphore flags would have been quicker! Windows 8 doesn't help!! But at least we seem - by a combined effort - to have nailed this one.
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello

I can't remember at all if I tried all Hynes in the PoW questionnaires volume at Kew. Sometimes I just go directly to the surname and initials, and when I have more time, I browse through the complete volume and picture all airmen's pages. I can have a go at J.F. Hynes again, in order to be sure. Can't tell when, no visit planned to Kew so far.

Joss

Thanks

Wow! It's like the "The Elves and the Shoemaker"! :-) I post, go to bed, get up and find the elves have worked all night to resolve this one! Thank you very much guys.

Well, I have to say, that's not a result I expected. Usually, it's just a case of an error that one person has made and everyone keeps copying. It just goes to show - time and time again - that source documents are the key and it's dangerous to rely solely on second parties: it pays to check!

I was vaguely aware of POW repatriation, but can someone explain a bit more? I mean, countless airmen were wounded when shot down, operated on, hospitalised, then sent to Dulag Luft. WHat was the criteria for being repatriated? The severity and unlikelihood that the man would return to service? e.g. loss of leg(s), arm(s), sight? And as for the two vessels mentioned, did they fly a ICRC flag or their own flags? Did they meet half way or were they given freedom to enter each others ports?

Thank you for all your efforts in answering my queries, gents.

Regards
    Steve

Thanks

Steve, Hi,

A few years ago Alieneyes and I did some work on these two ships in connection with one particular WW2 medical repat, but I have since lost that work. If Alieneyes is on the circuit he may be able to add some more. The contacts below should get you started:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_American_Line
    Mercy Ships by David Miller New York Continuum Press 2008 ISBN 978 1 85285 572 7
    Lars Hemingstam. "The Exchange and Repatriation Voyages During WWII". A tribute to the Swedish American Line. Retrieved 2008-02-22.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th February 2015 at 09:26.

Thanks

Guys,

Footprints has him as involved with circus 32 in Camps 9c/L6/L4, pow no. 39210 so on that basis repatriation is unlikely but he does have a subscript 3 9c/L6?

I am researching this guys also as he was in 9c.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the additional information.

Hey Nick, well that confuses things a bit. What's a 'subscript 3'? Is it definitely the same man with both forenames and the ID No. 581391?

Thanks
    Steve