Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earl Bateman Fielden RAFO

Thanks

Default Earl Bateman Fielden RAFO

I am seeking RFC/RAF Information on Earl Bateman Fielden , Pilot British Airways / and also Pilot with the Alan Cobham Flying Circus in the 1930's .

Enlisted as a Flight Cadet RFC in 1917 then to the RAF Becoming an Officer 21/8/18, RAFO 70214 , MID 17/3/41.

Flew with 24 Sqd , Flew Flamingos to France during the Battle Of France , Awarded US DFC Circa Aug 44 for his services in Burma , Transports in Support of the Windgate Operations

His Son AC2 Stanley ES Fielden KOAS 8/3/43

if anyone can add anything relating to his Military service i would be most grateful
    Thanks Phill Jones

It seems he has no connection to G/C Edward H Fielden
    Last edited by phill jones; 6th February 2015 at 16:27.

Thanks

Hi,My late father Ken Ellwood was a raf historian and amongst his large collection of ww2 raf photos he has a file on Earl Bateman fielden including paper cuttings, photos, family history etc -I am intrigued that so little about this remarkable man is available -he flew in both wars and worked with Alan Cobham between wars.Would like to share notes on him as I am interested in local history ( like myself Earl grew up and went to school in Skipton)

Thanks

Hi Dave ,

Thank you for your message , yes i agree little is written about EB Feilden RAFO , would love to share notes with you on him , but i must confess i have very little other than his time here locally with Cobham and some photos get back to me with a Private Message and we can hopefully take it from there .

i look forward to hearing from you

Rgs Phill

Thanks

Hey.
    I saw that your were intrested in Earl Feilden and I think I can help. As I am his great grandson I have all his hand write flight log books and passports along with his medals. I have tryed to read his log books but his handwriting was not he best but from what I can make out there are very intresting story's in them. I you think this will be of any help please reply.
    Victor Kalkowski

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Victorkay View Post
    Hey.
    I saw that your were intrested in Earl Feilden and I think I can help. As I am his great grandson I have all his hand write flight log books and passports along with his medals. I have tryed to read his log books but his handwriting was not he best but from what I can make out there are very intresting story's in them. I you think this will be of any help please reply.
    Victor Kalkowski
    Hello Victor ,

Thank you for replying to this thread i would very much like to establish contact with you concerning your Great Grandfather please mail me on phillipjones275@gmail.com .

hope to hear from you regards Phill

Thanks

Hello Victor,

Your grandfather was involved in some of the early agent-droppping operations while he was at RAF Ringway in the summer of 1940. You may have some logbook entries for 23 and 26 August 1940. It would be very interesting to see what your father wrote in his logbook (and anywhere else) about his activities on and around those days.

Nicolas Livingstone

Thanks

Hello All,

The ‘Met Team’ would also have an interest in the development of this parachuting at/from RAF Ringway. An excerpt from the 38 Group (Met) post-WW2 AAR is below:

Any arrangements for training for airborne operations must have been only on paper at the beginning of the war in 1939, for it was not until 19 Jul 40 [my emboldening] that the first conference regarding the training of paratroops took place at Ringway Airport , near Manchester. At this meeting, at which Air Force and Army personnel were present, but no meteorological office representative, it was decided to start a paratroop training school at Ringway, as soon as possible. In minute 24 of the meeting it was baldly stated “Air Ministry will provide the school with an anemometer”. This was at once referred to the Deputy Director of the Met Office (DDMO) for action, and so commenced the connection of the meteorological office with Airborne Operations that was to lead to the formation of a group of Meteorological Offices (38 Group), the forecasting for almost nightly operations over enemy territory, and for the vast paratroop and Glider Operations in Normandy (Jun 1944), at Arnheim [sic] (Sep 44) and during the crossing of the Rhine (Mar 45).

And

The first training course at Ringway was in July 1941 with dummy drops over Ringway and Tatton Park. The existing Irvin 28ft parachute was used, from old but modified Whitley bombers and the first live drops were on 13th July 1941 when RAF instructors made eight test jumps.
    From:- http://www.3para1945-48palestine.com/statichute.html

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 5th March 2017 at 12:08.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello All,

Having been involved, when in employ, for a large number of years in (the modern!) 38 Group parachute work, I was very intrigued by developments in this thread. Some of them are at variance with what I knew as the ‘perceived truth’!

I have therefore put together an amalgam of parts of several time-lines to aid any further researches/reseachers. I give it to you for what it is worth. There are a number of sources. They do not always agree, or are unclear (but this is not new!!):-

22 Jul 1936 Flt Lt Edward Hedley Fielden, AFC, RAFO, promoted Wg Cdr [L].
    30 Oct 1936 Wg Cdr Edward Hedley Fielden, AFC, Awarded MVO (4th Class) [L].
    2 Mar 1937 Wg Cdr Edward Hedley Fielden, MVO, AFC, RAFO, Captain of the King’s Flight [L].
    3 Sep 1939 Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFO promoted Fg Off > Flt Lt [L].
    21 Jun 1940 CLS (Central Landing School) formed at RAF Ringway [W].
    19 Jul 1940 Conference at CLS on training paratroops [J]
    22 Jul 1940 SOE formed [W].
    26 Jul 1940 3-cup anemo fitted at Tatton Park (CLS DZ) [J]
    21 Aug 1940 419 (SD) Flight formed at North Weald [W].
    14 Nov 1940(?) French agent sent by air, but he refused to jump [F].
    1 Oct 1940 CLS becomes PTS (Parachute Training School) [W]
    9 Oct 1940 419 (SD) Flight Whitley dropped SIS agent near Fontainebleau [S].
    9 Oct 1940 419 (SD) Flight moves from N Weald to Stradishall [R].
    31 Dec 1940 419 (SD) Flight Whitley mounted N Weald dropped 6 British commandos (+radio) near Batz Is, Brittany. Wrong DZ. 5 were caught and shot [S].
    10 Jan 1941 SIS agent dropped near Rambouillet to set up SIS network Jade [S].
    1 Mar 1941 149 (SD) Flight becomes 1419 (SD) Flight [W].
    13 Mar 1941 2 SIS agents dropped near Chateauroux [S].
    15 Mar 1941 6 Gaullist paras dropped near Vannes to attack the airfield [S].
    17 Mar 1941 Flt Lt Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFO awarded MiD [L].
    10 Apr 1941 6 Polish paras mounted from Tangmere by 1419 (SD) Flight to destroy Pessac (Bordeaux) pwr sta [S].
    13 Jul 1941 8 RAF PJIs make first live jumps at CLS Ringway [P].
    14 Jul 1941 First live para drops of trainees at CLS [P].
    25 Jul 1941 First para fatality at CLS Ringway [P].
    25 Aug 1941 1419 (SD) Flight becomes 138 Sqn [W].
    15 Feb 1942 Wg Cdr Edward Hedley Fielden, MVO, AFC, RAFO, CO 161 Sqn (Formed from 138 Sqn and ex-King’s Flight a/c) [R].
    15 May 1942 Flt Lt Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFO to be T/Sqn Ldr [L].
    15 Oct 1942 T/Gp Capt Edward Hedley Fielden, MVO, AFC, RAFO, OC RAF Tempsford [R].
    6 Apr 1943 T/Gp Capt Edward Hedley Fielden, MVO, AFC, RAFO, awarded DFC [L].
    18 Nov 1943 T/Sqn Ldr Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFO to be Sqn Ldr (War Substantive) [L]
    6 Apr 1944 T/Sqn Ldr Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFO Transfers to RAFVR [L].
    30 Jun 1944 A/Wg Cdr Earl Bateman Fielden (70214) RAFVR awarded DFC (American) [L].
    28 Jun 1945 Gp Capt Edward Hedley Fielden, MVO, AFC, RAFO, to Air Staff, HQTC [R]

24 Sqn was located at Hendon throughout the entire period. It was mainly involved in Transport duties, both Pax (including VIP!) and Freight – what I would have known (in my 38 Grp time) as a typical “Truckie” squadron. It’s C-130 Hercules days may prove the point?

Sources:
    [S] = http://www.plan-sussex-1944.net/angl...nto_france.pdf
    [J] = Jacobs 38 Grp (Met) AAR
    [W] = Wikipedia
    [P] = http://www.3para1945-48palestine.com/statichute.html
    [L] = London Gazette
    [R] = RAFWEB
    [F] = “SOE – The Special Operations Executive, 1940-46”, M R D Foot, BBC 1984

There are a number of observations to be made on the time-line(s):-
    24 Sqn appears never to have been based at CLS Ringway.
    There were few, if any, British trained military parachute personnel before Jul 1941.
    Those military parachute personnel before that seem to have been trained outwith UK.
    Many of the insertions before that seem to have been SIS (and other ‘spook’!) operations.
    The “6 British commandos” (31 Dec 1940) needs some clarification!
    There don’t appear to be any clandestine insertions on 23 or 26 Aug 1940?
    The parallel careers of the Fieldens could trap the unwary!

For those who study, or wish to study, the clandestine operations of WW2, source [S] is – I discovered – an absolute gold-mine of information! There are hundreds of source references (including pages of TNA File Refs!). The time-lines possibly need re-examining forensically?

I am prepared for any brick-bats that may occur – and be aimed in my direction!

HTH

Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello,

Couple of additional entries for your Timeline:

1 Jan 1945 Gp Capt Edward Hedley Fielden CVO, AFC, RAFO, 2nd MiD
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../supplement/61 (see also p.60)

12 Aug 1945 E H Fielden CVO, AFC, RAFO Gp Capt (temp.) granted the rank of Gp Capt (war subs.)
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4696

Col.

Thanks

Col,
    Mni tks that.
    Peter