Thread: 233 & 437 Squadrons - Arnhem 1944 ORB look up request

Thanks

Default 233 & 437 Squadrons - Arnhem 1944 ORB look up request

Hi,
    I am trying to confirm if a member of 800 (Air Dispatch) Company Royal Army Service Corps flew on any resupply operations at Arnhem. I understand that this unit served with 233 & 437 squadrons of Transport Command. The guys name is T/14044318 Dvr A H Grant, does anybody have copies of the ORBs for these squadrons covering the Sept 1944 period? If so would they be kind enough to check if he is mentioned on any of the crew lists during operations?
    many thanks,
    Rick

Thanks

Hi Ravrick,

None of above mentioned ORB's list ground crew names, unfortunately...

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hi Hans,
    many thanks for checking,
    Rick

Thanks

Default 233 and 437 Squadrons - Arnhem 1944 ORB look up request

Hello Hans and Ravrick

T/14044318 Dvr A H Grant would not be a member of RAF ground crew because he was a Royal Army Service Corps despatcher if he flew - he should be listed against various aircraft if he flew as he would be with about 3 or 4 other despatchers, and I have found information about other despatchers via the web - see http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...which-Squadron for information on other Market Garden Dakota squadrons and http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-Squadron-RCAF - which lists the despatchers on Dakota III KG387, so a source must be available to list them from: possibly an RAF Form 1256 (Air Crew and passenger list) which would include the RAF crew and all other personnel on board, including the Surname, Initials, Rank, Religion, Trade, Unit, Proceeding (from/to), Personnel Weight Lbs, Baggage Weight Lbs and Total Weight Lbs, as issued in a similar manner to my piece below from RAF Ford to B.11 in Normandy.

233 and 437 (RCAF) Squadron (437 formed 1 September 1944) both operated from Blakehill Farm, and I had previously researched Dakota III KG387, which had bought ground staff and pilots of 453 Squadron RAAF to B.11 Longues-sur-Mer on 25 June 1944 as part of 125 Wing.

Transferred to 437 Squadron RCAF, which only formed on 1 September 1944, from 271 Squadron RAF, KG387 Z2-UF departed Blakehill Farm at 13.14 on 21 September 1944. The Dakota III was engaged in pannier drop to airborne forces in Holland. Heavy small-calibre flak was reported in the area and enemy fighters attacked en route home. It was shot down by German fighters and crashed in a field near Esp, a small hamlet between Eindhoven and Son, just south of the Wilhelmina Canal. Only three men survived the crash. The five casualties were buried in the temporary US Military Cemetery at Son.

As of 12 November 1944 the following statement had been obtained from F/O Rechenuc:

The aircraft had done the run in on the D.Z. and on the return flight the aircraft was attacked by six FW.190s. On the first burst F/L Alexander was hit and the second pilot, F/O W.S. McLintock, although himself hit, took over control. He ordered the remainder of the crew to bale out. F/O Rechenuc and FS McHugh parachuted safely to earth, where they were picked up by some American Army unit and taken to hospital. According to F.O Rechenuc the Americans state that no one else jumped from the aircraft and it crashed in flames further forward.

http://www.warcemeteries.nl/Alexander2.html gives full details.

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/2500...rasc-casualty/ - KG387 had also been involved in the D-Day operations.

Failing being included in the Form 541 (or RAF Form 1256) of either 233 or 437 Squadrons I would expect an RASC unit diary to be held at the NA Kew. I have tried to trace him via cwgc.org, with no joy during the Market Garden period, but you haven't mentioned if he survived the war or not.

good luck with your quest - please keep me updated in case I can offer further help.

Allan
    Allan Hillman