Thread: French Journalist Crashes Off the Coast of Malta September 16 1945

Round Pond, Maine USA and Seillans, France
    Thanks

Default French Journalist Crashes Off the Coast of Malta September 16 1945

I am finishing up a book on the life of Claude Blanchard, a war correspondent with the Allied Forces who was sent to Moscow at the end of the war to interview Stalin and report on life in the Soviet Union for his paper, Paris-Soir. He was returning to Paris via Cairo and while there cabled home that he would be on the next available military aircraft. The plane was reportedly a Junkers JU 52/3 and there were 8 passengers on board that morning. It crashed 25 km off the coast of Malta, and there were no survivors. I am assuming the flight was headed to Tunis for another plane change before Blanchard would have headed to Paris. And I am assuming this was an RAF flight but I am not positive. Can anyone tell me where I might look for additional information on this? Many thanks. Mark Jespersen

Thanks

There would not appear to be any American losses on that date or on the days before and after, per the known lists:
    http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/s...y/Sep1945O.htm

And a search of the CWGC site for that date shows up no names that I would associate with a loss of British Commonwealth personnel.
    www.cwgc.org

The French Air Force at French airlines were at that time flying Ju52/3m or the French built Amiot AAC.1
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

This site here would suggest he died on 19th September 1945
    http://data.bnf.fr/13082790/claude_blanchard/
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Round Pond, Maine USA and Seillans, France
    Thanks

Thanks Dennis for your reply. It is true that the official notice for his death was on the 19th but in fact the actual date, and the crash, was on the 16th of September. But thanks for the help. Mark J.