Thread: Eugeniusz Horbaczewski - 315 Sqn

Thanks

Default Eugeniusz Horbaczewski - 315 Sqn

Morning All,

Eugeniusz Horbaczewski - 315 Sqn, is a famous WW2 RAF fighter pilot, and an ace, who was KIA on 18 August 1944. Two points:

In Shores' book 'Ace High', he's reported to have a DSO, DFC & Bar, but it seems that he was received only the DFC.

Other point, regarding his DSO. Does anyone know when he was awarded the DSO? I guess it was after his death.

Any addition to this will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil

Thanks

Well Phil I have checked 3 or 4 sources and they all say he had the DSO and they all say he had DFC and Bar. His Wiki entry says that the DSO was posthumous.

I don't know any detail of the awards.

Steve

Thanks

Thanks Steve, however, on the Carter's book 'The DFC and how it was won 1918-1995', there is only one DFC (1 July 43 - 145 Sqn).

Thanks

I am sure that one of our esteemed Polish friends will be along soon...

Thanks

Hello

For what's it's worth, the original grave marker bore the indication of DSO and DFC. But that's not proof, as Pickard's initial cross bore a VC which he didn't had.

"Aces High" credits him with the DSO and DFC & bar by the British, but no date. No amendments about awards in volume 2.

Indeed our Polish friends should come up with detailed informations from the Polish Institute & Sikorski Museum...

Joss

Thanks

His DSO was announced on 29 August 1944, so it was, in fact, posthumous, but (AFAIK) the DSO is not normally awarded posthumously, and this award was made at the time when he was still just 'missing'. His citation included details of his last combat on 18 August, and referred to 'his DFC' (rather than 'his DFC and bar'). The error of claiming he had a DFC and bar was probably born from the fact that his DFC was announced in 1943, but the actual award ceremony only took place in mid-1944, which led many authors (including myself) to believe this was a second DFC, rather than his first, one year late.

BTW, Joss, the Polish Institute & Sikorski Museum is a perfect place to look for details of Polish awards, but the British ones are better researched at Kew.

Thanks

Hello,

According to his biography published on www.tracesofwar.com his DSO was awarded on August 17th, 1945.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/...iubek.htm?c=aw

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Andrew