Thread: Luftwaffe Assistance

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe Assistance

G'day Chaps

I received the following today and was hoping to be find someone on hear who might be able to assist me. Here is the email.

"I recently inherited a piece of a WWII german bomber tail, which my grandfather 'obtained' for my Dad during the war. I brought it over as I'm sure the Cadets from my squadron will be interested in looking at it, but I'd like to track down more information.

I have 2 goals:

1) Identifying which aircraft it was from (I'm pretty sure it is a Ju-88, but need to confirm)
    2) Possibly tracking down which aircraft it was, and the history of it's last mission

I know it was from a raid on Luton, UK, which reduces the list to 24 raids. My Dad remembered watching the raid from his back garden - so that makes it a daylight raid. From his description of "watching dots in the sky, then the siren going off", and some other related information I'm thinking most likely it is a raid on Aug 30th 1940.

Do you know of any archives listing German daily losses from this time period? I realise it will probably be impossible to nail everything down exactly, but it's an interesting project. Ideally I'd like a full account from both sides - but that is being very hopeful.

Luckily I was able to ask my Dad about this before he died - now I want to record the information so it does not get lost.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated".

Richard

Thanks for any help mates.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris, I would say the book Battle of Britain then and now should be used as the first reference. I made a quick search but did not find any Ju88 on 30.8.40 which will fix in. Possibly more detailed search in days around and not only focusing on Ju88s may bring some results?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Chris, Richard

I'll take a look in the "Luftwaffe Crash Archive" series later.

Ian

Thanks

G'day Ian

Just curious if you have had any luck with my request?

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris

Many apologies for not replying sooner - or properly. I did take a quick look at LCA at the time but han't enough time to do a properly 'researched' answer, so I'd delayed my reply. Even now I haven't got the details together as much as I'd want to, but I hope this might be ok in the meantime.

From what I recall (not at home at the mo' and it was a couple of weeks ago), there weren't any Ju 88's listed that day. From what I can recall there were a few miscellaneous others including some Me 110's and He 111's, and there were four (I think) referred to as coming down in the Beds / Herts / Essex region north of London which 'might' have been heading to or from Luton. I was going to look up on a map to see where the crashes referred to actually were, but didn't get round to that bit!

How likely is the date mentioned by your contact (30 Aug)? And if he has any of the other day raid dates we could check those possibilities as well. Finally, and this is the bit that might be most useful, where were his family living at that time? I think LCA referred to various crash locations (and the 4 in particular) in the area north of London (I think Potters Bar was mentioned in one instance), so a location of their home would be helpful in trying to find a match.

Sorry for the delay, and sorry that this isn't much yet.

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks

I think a photo of both sides would help in identifying the donor, and the period, or at least narrow down any possibilities.

Thanks

G'day

I will ask the chap if perhaps he got his dates mixed up.

Many thanks.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris

As I said, I think what would be very helpful too would be clarification of where his dad's family were living. LCA does refer to the various crash locations so if we know whereabouts they were living as well as the date we should (hopefully!) be able to find a match for his piece of a/c.

Ian