Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate crew Harrow K6971 6th Oct 1938

Default Fate crew Harrow K6971 6th Oct 1938

Dear all,

I've posted this query on the Old Board a couple of years ago, but further research was of no avail.

In the night of 5/6th October 1938 Harrow K6971 of 215 Squadron was lost over The Channel off Dungeness. The crew consisted of:
    P/O Ronald Noah HAYNES
    P/O Thomas Ian Stewart MUNRO
    F/O Douglas Aubrey HAMILTON
    AC1 Trevor PROWSE, 550109 RAF
    AC1 Charles Selly LODGE, 566877 RAF

F/O Hamilton washed ashore onto the beach of Egmond on 3rd November 1938 and is now buried at Egmond-Binnen.

I don't know whether the other 4 crew members are still MIA or probably also washed ashore somewhere. The CWGC doesn't list these crew members and the AHB could only provide the Flying Accident Card.

Has somebody an idea how to retrieve the eventual fate of the 4 other crew members?
    Also, how can I get the service numbers of the three officers? The London Gazette doesn't mention the service numbers in that time period.

Thanks in advance,
    Hans Nauta

Hans,

According to Flight Magazine the aircraft and crew went missing over the Channel (6/10/38), presumed all died. I didn't know about any of the crew bodies being found !

I do have some information on F/O Haynes (Promoted Flying Officer 1/10/1938) His service flying training took place at 11 FTS Peterborough September 1936 - May 1937 Course 4, 30 Officers. 16 died (1938-1945) 4 made P.O.W WW2, 8 decorated WW2.

Mark

Hans,

Not much but another servicenumber found................
    F/O Douglas Aubrey HAMILTON - 37170 - F/O wef 16.11.37

Regards,
    Henk.

Hello Mark and Henk,

Thanks a lot for the bits and pieces of info. Although the wartime period is fairly well documented, the years before that seem to be difficult to research.

Hope there will be more reactions and possible leads to get more info about this event.

Regards,
    Hans Nauta

Hi Hans

The service number for Munro was 39891.

In the excellent list of between war deaths in the Research section is another death on 6th Oct 1938

39999, MacEwen, Alastair Lilburn could this be another lost on this flight or a different cause?

Regards
    Ross

P/O Alistair Lilburn MacEwen, Cpl. Frank James and A/C.1 Kenneth Adrian Clark lost their lives in an accident which occurred at Plynlimmon, near Llandidloes, Montgomeryshire, on October 6, to an aircraft of No. 226 (B.) Squadron, Harwell. P/O. MacEwen was the pilot, and Cpl. James and A/C.1 Clark the other members of the crew

From Flight Magazine

A

Cheers Amrit.

Regards
    Ross

This is a little "nit-picking" post.
    Can I ask that when posters mention Peterborough as an airfield location they take care to differentiate between Peterborough/Westwood, Peterborough/Sibson, Peterborough/Polebrook, Peterborough/Glatton, and - latterly - Peterborough/Connington. All these airfields have their own particualr histories. Having been born, and brought up, in Peterborough I like to have my 'local' airfields properly recorded.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

To complete the record the aircraft lost on Plynlimmon was Battle K7589

HTH

Dave Molyneux

The Times 21/12/1938 reports body of Trevor Prowse recovered off Arendal Norway!! Report dated 8/10/38 states flight was from Honnington to Southampton. Pete