Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fate crew Harrow K6971 6th Oct 1938

Thanks

Having seen where Egmond is and the other body turning up off Norway, did they ever make it anywhere near Dungeness ? Looks to me more like flying a reciprocal course from Honington and out into the North Sea. For 2 bodies to get around the Straits of Dover seems a bit unlikely.Compare it to the recent timber ship that sank, Timber came up all along the South Coast and into the Straits but not much went past it. Pete

Thanks

Hello Pete,

Many thanks for the finding of details about Trevor Prowse. Is there someting as a digitized The Times archive? I've looked on The Times Online, but these editions only run back to 1998...

Itīs not uncommon that bodies washed up (even from The Channel!) up to Norway. The South-North current along the French-Belgian-Dutch-German-Danish coast is capable of drifting bodies that far. Certianly when the Mae Wests were inflated.

According to the ORB contact was lost from 01.32 hrs when the aircraft was in bad weather over The Channel. It was beleived that the Harrow K6971 was struck by lightning as two other Harrows K 6965 and K6991 met that fate too, but these crews bailed out and survived.

I agree that there may be a reasonable possibility that the Harrow strayed off course to the North Sea.

Thanks again Pete for the additional info!

Hans Nauta

Thanks

Hi Hans, yes The Times 1785-185 is digitized. I access it free through our local Library service .I think the subscription is expensive. The Guardian is also available for roughly the same dates. It was free to view a couple of months back for a few days. Infotrac at THe Gale Group run the Times, not sure about the Guardian. Pete

Thanks

Default Harrow K6971

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Nauta View Post
    Dear all,

I've posted this query on the Old Board a couple of years ago, but further research was of no avail.

In the night of 5/6th October 1938 Harrow K6971 of 215 Squadron was lost over The Channel off Dungeness. The crew consisted of:
    P/O Ronald Noah HAYNES
    P/O Thomas Ian Stewart MUNRO
    F/O Douglas Aubrey HAMILTON
    AC1 Trevor PROWSE, 550109 RAF
    AC1 Charles Selly LODGE, 566877 RAF

F/O Hamilton washed ashore onto the beach of Egmond on 3rd November 1938 and is now buried at Egmond-Binnen.

I don't know whether the other 4 crew members are still MIA or probably also washed ashore somewhere. The CWGC doesn't list these crew members and the AHB could only provide the Flying Accident Card.

Has somebody an idea how to retrieve the eventual fate of the 4 other crew members?
    Also, how can I get the service numbers of the three officers? The London Gazette doesn't mention the service numbers in that time period.

Thanks in advance,
    Hans Nauta
    Have only just come across this site.

P/O Haynes was in fact my uncle, Father's brother. First name was in fact Roland. Understand that body was never found. He is remembered on the headstone of his brother Peter Haynes RM in Hermanville Cemetery, Normandy. Peter Haynes, aged 20, was killed 20.06.44 during D Day invasion. Have read other posts of presumed course and reciprocal. Family history, and father was at the airfield on Oct 7th, was that aircraft had been asked to fly up the Dutch Coast to the Kiel Canal and to look out for any unusual German naval movement. it was of course just after Munich and invasion. Believe the usual crew for this aircraft was four; but there was an additional pilot. ? perhaps a longer flight than usual ?

Has been interesting to read.

Nick Haynes