Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID in photo

Thanks

Default ID in photo

Im not sure if this forum is used to help with ID RAF personal but I have uploaded a few photos to the gallery

There is one I am really interested is

Names on the back are Dennis Founds, Roy Haydn? Ned Sparks, (I Vaughan) and Norman Clayton
    Any info on who these are would be well received.

Ned Sparks seems to have a load of medals and must have been quite famous? any ideas about him?
    Last edited by Jagan; 16th February 2015 at 22:13.

Thanks

Well Ned Sparkes seem to have an OBE/MBE medal, DFC, DFM w Bar as his first three medals. Not too many out there with that combinations I would think and it should make it easier to trace him out.

Thanks

Ummmmm, interesting.

Maton suggests that the combination MBE, DFC, DFM and Bar is only awarded once and to an RNZAF man - Errol, where are you!!

I also can't get a Sparks or Sparkes with any similar combination.

The photo suggests a dinner and the man with all the gongs is wearing a sqn ldr's mess kit whilst some of the others are in No: 4s. The sqn badges on display look like 41 Sqn, the elephant - is that 83? and what looks like a winged horse in the top corner.

The only Ned Sparkes I came across was a helicopter pilot and it ain't him.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello ,

From memory , Ned Sparks could be Ernest Neville Monkhouse Sparks, he was known as Ned Sparks when he was test pilot at Boscombe Down.
    He was in 83 Squadron, shot down two times, first during Mailly le Camp ops where he escaped, and in august 44 where he was made pow ...Konisgberg ops ??
    Could be your man ??

Norman Clayton, his name rings a bell to me, but cannot remember !! a mosquito pilot ??

Alain.

Thanks

Hello again, I have Syd Clayton Navigator in 105 Squadron, DSO DFC DFM ....

one of them ??

Alain.

Thanks

Hi I have now uploaded the back of the photo just in case I got the spelling wrong.

Thanks

Many thanks for that ... It good to know about the people in the photo

Thanks

Looks like Syd Clayton compare with photo pp97 'Bomber Barons' by Chas Bowyer. DSO 12/3/1943 105 Sq., DFC 20/11/1942 105 Sq., DFC* 14/9/1945 464 Sq. DFM 6/6/1941 107 Sq. Flew most of August 1940 to April 1943 with Roy Ralston. 100 ops as nav, 46 ops as pilot including Aarhus raid. Sadly committed suicide in 1976 at his home in Blackpool.

Thanks

Thanks all for the help. What a sad ending to this query. At least I can let my family know the background to the photo and a little about the people. Once again many thanks

Thanks

Not sure how far back you want to go with the Ned Sparks connection.

A Ned Sparks (932393) transferred from 25OTU to 144 Squadron 14 August 1941. Flew as regular navigator for Ivo Nightingale. Numerous Hampden operations during 1941. He appears in the January 1942 squadron photograph, but too difficult to match with those submitted. Returning from the Channel Dash operation, Feb 42, his aircraft Hampden AE141 crashed north of Norwich, his pilot, Nightingale was killed and he was injured. (The crew of AE141 are incorrectly recorded in early editions of Chorley). My father on the same operation recorded the incident in his own log book. Sparks did not return to operations, I believe he went to Canada as an instructor. I met this Ned Sparks in 1970 but I am afraid after this length of time I can not recognise him in your photos.