Thread: Polish Wellington crash 15/10/1942

Thanks

Default Polish Wellington crash 15/10/1942

Hello all,

i am trying to establish the identoty of the aircraft and crew that were involved in a crash landing at Chetwynd RLG on the 15th October 1942.
    From 5 (P)AFU ORB:
    15th October 1942 Wellington forced landed at Chetwynd. Prior to commencement of night flying. Touched down at 120 mph halfway down flare path, shot over the brow, down the hill, through a potato field and finally tipped up over on its nose just short of a wood. Polish crew with 23 Operational trips to their credit flying a reciprocal course. Quite OK.

Firstly am i correct in saying that the only Polish bomber squadrons equipped with Wellington's were 300, 301, 304 and 305? If so, does anyone have access to the ORB's. This accident is not recorded by Chorley and i have never been able to find an accident card for it.
    Perhaps the Squadron ORB records the incident, but i am trying to establish some contenders for which Squadron it could have been.
    Or perhaps someone can tie in a serial from their lists?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Tom,

it maybe worth contacting http://orb.polishaf.pl/ as the owner is doing an excellent job of uploading the ORBs of the Polish squadrons. He hasn't completed all of them yet but has been helpful in checking his files.

I've just checked the squadrons that you mentioned and no loss is recorded on the relevant squadron sites for this date. But the aircraft may not be considered a loss. The lists I used can be accessed by clicking on the relevant page in this list and then clicking on losses:

http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/web/history/WWII/britain/link.shtml

A

Thanks

Thanks Amrit, that sounds like a good call. I'll see if he can dig anything out for me.

Cheers, Tom