Thread: Help identify my Grandfather's crew - 195 Squadron

Thanks

Default Help identify my Grandfather's crew - 195 Squadron

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and I am hoping that you will be able to help me identify some of the members of my grandfatherís crew, shown in the photograph. From left to right are:

CULLING W/O Donald RNZAF (NZ43464) Pilot
    ELSMORE F/Sgt Henri France RNZAF (NZ4215824) Navigator
    WILKINSON F/Sgt Herbert Edwin Graham, RNZAF. (NZ421609) Bomb Aimer
    POTTER F/Sgt Fred Charles Entwistle RNZAF. (NZ4215278) WOp/AG (My Grandfather)
    Wally (Leeds)
    Dave (Dorset)
    Johnny (London)

Who are these last three? I only have their first names and their home towns and I donít believe the date of 1944 is correct. I believe the photo was taken between June and July 1945, while he was posted to 195 Squadron. I infer these dates based on my Grandfatherís log book, as prior to posting to 195 Sqdn, Don Culling, was a recorded as a Flight Sergeant and in the photo he has what I believe is a Warrant Officer's badge on his sleeve. They were fresh from 1654HCU at the time and only flew 3 brief training flights with the squadron according to the log book I have.

After these dates I believe the NZ aircrews, including the four above, were being posted away to 75 Squadron for Tiger force and at the same time other nationalities were being posted out of 75. At this point I believe the crew acquired a RNZAF Flight Engineer, John Livingstone, and two RNZAF Air Gunners, Noel Brinsley and Jim Whitehouse.

Any pointers to help me identify Wally, Dave and Johnny would be appreciated. Would the 195 Sqdn Form 541 for the period show them?

Many thanks

James (Kiwiwatch)

Thanks

James,
    I'm afraid the 195sqdn ORB is no help, i've looked in my copy and cannot see any of the names listed. Training flights are not recorded in the 541's and only have a brief mention in the 540.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 17th February 2015 at 14:58.

Thanks

The Names are
    Wally Wallis
    Dave Davison
    Jonny Legg

Thanks
    - Don Culling

Send me a message if you would like more information
    Last edited by GCulling; 11th October 2015 at 23:03. Reason: Update

Thanks

Hello GCulling,
    Thank you for the response with the complete names of the remaining crew in the photo. I must apologise for the lateness of my reply, since I posted the query I have not returned to the site due to other commitments.

Am I correct in thinking you are a relative of Don Culling? I have a copy of Charlie's log book, in which Don features frequently as pilot, along with a few pictures I obtained from relatives of Grey Wilkinson taken in Canada, the UK and strangely the middle east?! Would copies of these be of interest to you? I have now enabled PMs or I can be reached at james_spray (at) hotmail.com

Kind regards
    James Spray