Thread: 103 Sqn - Phoney war

Thanks

Default 103 Sqn - Phoney war

Morning All,

Does anyone hold the 103 Sqn ORB for the Phoney war period? I'm trying to trace a pilot, P/O T.P. PUGH, who is reported to have served with this Fairey Battle unit before the war. This pilot was later transferred to the Fighter Command in July 40. The date of when he left the 103 would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil,

I have checked the ORB and the last mention of him that I can find is on 22 April 1940 when he was pilot of one of several Battles from the unit taking part in a night leaflet raid over Germany. The problem is that the ORB for May and June 1940 was lost in France. A reconstructed F.540 for these two months was later made and inserted. However it lacks much detail and probably contains errors. Perhaps the worst loss is the complete lack of the F.541 with crew and mission details. I imagine he must have flown operationally with 103 Squadron in May 1940 at least. I can find no mention of him in the relevant published works on the campaign by Peter Cornwell, Norman Franks or Sidney Shail.
    According to the 263 Squadron ORB (online) he was posted in to that unit on 1 July 1940 from No. 1 R.A.F. Depot.

Hope this helps a little.

Martin.

Thanks

It does. Thanks Martin. Actually that comes to confirm that it is written in 182 Sqn ORB on formation in September 42 (he became its first CO), that he had participated to the Battle of France with Battles. One can consider that he followed the fate of the 103 until end of May when the 103 or what remained of it was shipped back to the UK.
    Phil