Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalina II AM265 of 240 Sqn - a couple of questions...

Thanks

Default Catalina II AM265 of 240 Sqn - a couple of questions...

Catalina AM265 of 240 Sqn was lost in an accident in the 'Donegal Corridor' on March 21st 1941. From the ORB it seems that it was delivered to the Squadron around the 7th March or so. The collection date isn't actually mentioned in the ORB, but around that time several other Catalinas, such as AM264, were collected from Greenock and flown to Stranraer.

I came across some images online a few years back showing the remains of some wing sections of AM265 that were still in the area of the crash, and they show that AM265 seemed to have had its R.A.F. camouflage painted over a U.S colourscheme, with yellow wings and blue U.S. roundels. I'm guessing this is the US Navy colourscheme, with silver fuselage and yellow wing surfaces? Unfortunately I can't remember where I came across the photos, and Google doesn't seem to be able to find them again.

So, my questions are:

Firstly, where would it have had the R.A.F. camouflage and markings applied? Before it left the U.S.A., or once it had arrived in the U.K.?

Secondly, would it have had a U.S. serial number before it became AM265? I can't find any reference to it having a previous identity before it joined the R.A.F.

Many thanks,

Regards

Simon

Thanks

My understandings were that this was a Consolidated Model 28-5ME and as such was a direct purchase from the manufacturer prior to the US entry to the war. Hence I don't believe that batch were ever given BuNo from the US government.

The painting may just be that that was the way the factory producing them did it, maybe they were diverted from USN production batches, and were painted as they woudl have been.
    http://www.uswarplanes.net/catalina.html

I've been trying to collect photos of the crew members, rather unsuccessfully I may add, if you can help on this I would greatly appreciate it.

I've never made it to this crash site myself. Sometime hopefully!!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis

The only photo I've managed to find of any of the crew is one of Ronald Oldfield here.

The reason for asking where the aircraft was repainted is to find out if it was done in 'proper' Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey/Sky temperate sea scheme (if it was repainted when it arrived the U.K.), or, as was often the case with American-supplied aircraft of the period, it was done at the factory in the nearest U.S. specification paint equivalents (Army Navy Aeronautical colours).

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi chaps,

I came across AM265 year ago when writing about Czech navigator of 240 Sq but unfortunately I am unable to supply details Simon is asking for.
    If you are interested in some photos from 240 Sq drop me a note via e-mail Dennis, we can check if there is anything you did not have already...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Pavel

Do you happen to have a photo of Sgt Henry Dunbar, 550770, who was killed aboard AM265? He's one of my local casualties.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Unfortunately no Simon.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Simon,

I think that was a series of colour transparencies with the US equivalents of Temperate Sea and Sky, applied in the US. I have them buried on my hard drive somewhere...!

Robert

Thanks

I've not gotten anything for Dunbar either, if I do or if you do, please let me know!

Have you determined was he an only son?

mothers maiden name was Snaith.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 23rd February 2015 at 21:13.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Phil Butler states in 'Air Arsenal North America' that AM264-AM270 were from capacity allocated to and released by the US Navy but they were not US Navy aircraft.

Robert

Thanks

Simon:

Re my earlier response #7, I see now your were talking about photos of the wreck of AM264. That said, there is a series of images of PBY-5s in the US equivalents of Temperate Sea and Sky. Have emailed them to you.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 23rd February 2015 at 23:51.