Thread: Hawker Typhoon recovery in The Netherlands

Thanks

Default Hawker Typhoon recovery in The Netherlands

I hope nobody would not mind refering to another forum.
    forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?133998-Hawker-Typhoon-recovery-in-The-Netherlands
    To make the story short, remains of a Typhoon lost with a pilot during the final month of the war were found, unfortunately without any trace of the pilot. What I was shocked, was that the remains of the aircraft are to be scrapped. While they might not be of any significant material value (though I guess a bit more than scrap), they have a significant emotional load, especially for the family. Also, they come from what could be considered a war grave.
    Any comments?

Thanks

I totally agree. Why is it being excavated?. Just because human remains have not been found yet, if it is known that the pilot went in with the aircraft then it should be left alone. If the relatives of the pilot can be identified maybe you should let them know about it and enlist their help. I presume also that the aircraft was armed when it crashed. This is a major hazard and yet another reason why it should not be dug up. maybe enlist the help of the bomb disposal team in Holland to see what they think. Good Luck. Tony

Thanks

The link now states that the aircraft remains are to be exhibited in a local museum. The excavation appears to be necessary as part of redevelopment work.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.