Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unaccounted loss Sussex

Thanks

Default Unaccounted loss Sussex

Weird though it might seem, as this is well trodden ground by now, as far as aircraft crashes during WW2 is concerned. But there was a USAAF aircraft loss at Gillhope Farm in Mayfield, East Sussex on 8th Oct 1943, the pilot of which (unknown aircraft) was taken to the Kent & Sussex hospital injured, up the road in Tunbridge Wells. Anyone who can shed any light on this is a genius because I've not heard a thing from anyone locally, and the complete record (ircraft type etc) seems to have been lost.
    Anyone any clues please?
    Dave
    Map ref recorded was 047447 Was this the secret map the name of which escapes me?

Thanks

There doesn't appear to a USAAF loss for that date in that locality. But you can double check using this site:

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/AFrptsMO.htm

A

Thanks

Default Loss tables

Many thanks Amrit.
    I have seen another (similar) USAAF loss table, but not this one, which is more comprehensive.
    The only loss in England for 08-10-43 listed was a P-47 :

431008 P-47D 42-74634 83FS 78FG 357 8 LAC 3 Dougherty, Kenneth W ENG Duxford/Sta 357

Will check to see if it was in fact him.

The 6 digit map reference I thought was a Cassini reference, but its not. Its not an OS ref either, so what I wonder can it be '047447' ???
    Dave

Thanks

David

That is a Cassini reference which should be used with the sheet prefix 'WR' which transposes into OS reference TQ609259, Gillhope Farm.
    Andy Saunders' Bombers over Sussex does not list the incident, however 8th AF Losses records an accident to Hurricane Z4631 on this day, although the a/c was repaired.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default Dave W

Dave W to the rescue! yet again (sorry for my long absence Dave).
    Is it one you have looked into in any way shape sense or form Dave ?
    I can't say 100% its USAAF, but it proves the listings are typically lacking.
    What listing provided you with this additional info Dave (if I might be so bold as to ask)?
    Do you have a pilot?
    Dave

Thanks

Default interesting Dave (W)

Thanks

David

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't think I have added very much. This is a new incident for me, but it could well involve an incident where the a/c was not damaged sufficiently for it to be written off: in which case it will not be recorded. The only write off I gave in Sussex for this day is Whirlwind P7047 of 263S which COA at Tangmere. I don't have a pilot's name for this, but in any case Mayfield is a long way from Tangmere!

Where did you pick it up from?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

I leave map references to our cartographers, but Hurricane Z4631 is indeed mentioned on a USAAF loss list for 8 October 1943. Unit is given as HQ 8th AF. Curiously, it also says SAL BD, or salvaged due to battle damage...

Sorry, I don't know about circumstances or name of pilot.

Perhaps someone can check in "Losses 8th & 9th Air Forces, Vol. 1" (Stan Bishop & Jan Hey) if this loss/accident is included?

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

P7047 - Engine cut in circuit at night (due to shortage of fuel) on return from shipping strike; undershot approach, hit obstruction and stalled short of Tangmere, 8.10.43; P/O James Ian Simpson DFM, RAFVR, (155239) aged 24 killed. Pilot is buried at Glasgow (Eastwood) Cemetery, Glasgow, United Kingdom. Aircraft DBR

Thanks

Default Dave W

Seems a fair conclusion. If we're (from what your saying) covering the same ground, in terms of research, do you live locally to me, as we may be able to share information?
    I got the accident date & location from Sussex at War, a website which has I believe now been withdrawn, but a chat with Pat Burgess too I believe may have led to this site too. Can't recall exactly as I've been looking at this 2 years now.
    Leen dert thanks for the confirmation, I believe the pilot will come to light soon. It sounds likely, because I know he was whisked to hospital, with injuries. Anyone trying to land at this spot would not have done so without a likely mishap.
    I'm sure too Dave will appreciate the Whirlwind info. Although its not the main thrust of my thread.
    Dave