Thread: Boards of Inquiry

Thanks

Default Boards of Inquiry

Under the Freedom of Information Act, can I ask for a copy of a Board of Inquiry report into a flying accident in the 1960s?

If so, can anyone tell me where I should apply?

Hopefully. JeanB

Thanks

Jean,

You can certainly ask for the information, but whether it will still be extant and/or can be released is another matter. The address for FOI requests is as follows:

MOD Information Rights Team
    1st floor, Zone N
    Main Building
    Whitehall
    London
    SW1A 2HB

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Many thanks Jonny - I`ll give it a try anyway.

Best regards Jean

Thanks

If you are prepared to share with us the particular accident to which you refer, someone might already have the information.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello Jean, Colin and Jonny

See:-

Mark Hood v IC - FOIwiki

If you type the above into your search engine it should come up as a pdf. (IC being the UK Information Commissioner)

Although the only official surviving provisional note of the crash attempts to blame the Captain and crew, they were subsequently cleared owing to cloud. Although, I have discovered from Kew and other official sources several reasons why their Whitley descended from 10,000 feet in a dive and simply never levelled out at 5,000 feet. Also the RAF were operating aerial obstructions in poor weather with no warning system to warn aircraft. Apparently this was against the 1936 Navigation Act at an Aerodrome. In 1940 Aerodromes were exempt from some Wartime Restrictions and were still required to operate a warning system. The aerodrome was also blocked and no warning of this had been passed to Air Ministry Organisation. The RAF tried to blame everyone else including Met I believe. Balloon Command posted a chap from the Balloon Branch to 4 Bomber Group to defend their position, the Distress HQ said that there was no written instruction to pass an SOS to MLS (Movement Liaison Section). It was a shambles, nobody had thought how they were going to get all aircraft safely back, when an anticipated front moving SE was forcing the cloud base down.

Also one of the warning prefixes to a D/F bearing given to an aircraft was apparently not in the Wireless Op code book carried on an aircraft, but there seems to be something wrong with the aircraft, according to the sound plots. One of the two Whitleys which hit balloons was fired at by friendly fire too. I'm afraid somebody knew the cause at the time, but kept quiet, or never recorded/kept the details.

The AIB did not establish a cause and it now seems the Court of Inquiry may never have been completed.

What the MoD have said in writing is that it was decided to release Court/Board of Inquiry files from 1995 and the decision to release prior to this date was not retrospective.

However, it does seem to depend on whether it was selected for permanent preservation.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 28th February 2015 at 07:37.

Thanks

Thanks Colin for your reply - I have sent you a PM at this stage.

And thanks too, Mark .... better not get my hopes up too high.

Regards to both Jean