Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russians in the RAF

Thanks

Default Russians in the RAF

A number of White Russians managed to get out of the Bolshevik Russia, this including airmen. It is known, that a number of them spread around the world, joining various aviation companies or air forces. Later on, children of the generation also trained as pilots.
    As for now, I am aware of three Russians serving RAF during WWII, namely Emanuel Galitzine, Alexander Molchanoff-Sacha aka Richard Marner, and Alexander Obolensky. Ivan Vasilyevich Smirnov, ex-RAF, flew for Dutch AF in the FE. Anyone knows about any others?
    TIA
    Franek

Thanks

Hi Franek,

I think this one killed with Czech crew at No. 138 Sq would fit to your criteria:

39 150 S/Ldr Boris Romanoff, belive having some connection to the Russian Tsar family?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...ANOFF,%20BORIS
    http://www.mckechnies.net/family/rom...oris/index.htm

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Many thanks, so we are quite aristocratic here. Now, I think about Andy Mamedoff. Any other hints?

Thanks

Galitzine was apparently the great-great grandson of Catherine the Great.

Do you require any biographical information on him?

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi
    Thanks, but I think I have all the necessary informations on him, including family trees. I do not have any information about the others, though.

Thanks

Another name I have recalled, Joseph Viatkin. Anyone?

Thanks

Hi Franek,

from my research on Shropshire airmen, I know that Alexander Walter Arthur Gee, who died serving at RAF Shawbury on the 12th September 1952, was born in Moscow 24th September 1916. So far I have been unable to find out why he was born there/were his family Russian etc? He was serving as an RAF officer, during the war, I know that from LG.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi
    Thanks. Worth checking, but I seem not able to find any naturalisation record for the man. Possibly he was a Moscow born Briton. There was a number of Britons employed across the Russian Empire at the time, so perhaps the case?

Thanks

Hi Franek,

If it’s not just flyers you are looking for then there was 87808 Alexander d’ Agapeyeff, one time Senior Admin Officer at RAF Marston Moor amongst other places.
    Born in Russia in 1902 he was later an officer in the Slavo British Legion, he wrote a book on codes and ciphers in 1939, the ‘D’Agapeyeff Cipher’ being a famous uncrackable (as yet) code and was a successful surveyor and cartographer, also publishing a book on maps in 1942.
    He has an SOE/MI5 file from 1941, though it seems they weren’t keen to take advantage of his services, the intelligence services loss was Marston Moor’s gain, as he is lamented on his posting to RAF Kenley in September 1944 when the ORB mentions the many improvements he had brought to the Station during his brief stay, he had been there since arriving from 24 OTU in April. He was transferred from A&SD to the Secretarial Branch in 1947 and also received his naturalisation certificate in the same year although his MI5 file seems to suggest he may have already been a naturalised British citizen by 1941. He died in 1955 with the rank of Wing Commander. I believe his son, also Alexander, was a prominent computer scientist in the 60’s and 70’s.
    One can only wonder why his talents weren’t better utilised by the ‘powers that be', not that there’s anything wrong with being S.Ad.O at a training airfield but you would have thought he was qualified for a more glamorous role.

Rgds

Pete

Thanks

Sure, I am interested in all personnel. I think Molchanoff was not flyer either. Many thanks!