Thread: Crew positions on asr vickers warwick mk1

Thanks

Default Crew positions on asr vickers warwick mk1

Hi All,

Struggling a bit here. Does anyone know the crew positions on the ASR Warwick Mk1?

All crews I am finding in 281 ORB consist of six airmen. I always thought as follows:

Pilot
    2/Pilot
    Nav/Obs
    W/AG
    W/AG
    A/G

Regards
    Dave
    Last edited by highgroundsman; 1st March 2015 at 19:41.

Thanks

Dear Dave,

I have just joined this forum, and have come across your post from March. My understanding is that the crew of a Warwick ASR Mk.I was either six or seven, depending whether the aircraft had a mid-upper turret. As they all had A.S.V. Mk II radar, the crew was Pilot & Captain, Second Pilot, Navigator, and three or four Wireless Operators/Air Gunners. If the aircraft had a mid upper, four WOp/AGs were carried, if not, only three. I have not confirmed this yet, but the A.S.V. equipped Wellington squadrons used to rotate their WOp/AGs around the positions every 20 to 30 minutes, so that the person on the radar position could remain alert and not suffer from eye strain. Likewise, I have not confirmed whether the mid-upper and rear gunners were also trained as WOps as well, or were just air gunner trained. On the Wellingtons, all three were multi-skilled, and I can only presume this continued with the Warwicks.

I hope this helps. Rob

Thanks

Having just finished 'Drop the Dinghy' about 279 Squadron, I have revised my views as above. The Wellingtons used to carry a Second Pilot as standard, but their sorties could last up to ten hours or longer. The A.S.R. sorties appear to have been about five hours in length, and so some appears not to have a Second Pilot on board, making the crew as follows: Pilot & Captain, Navigator, and four WOp/AGs. For longer sorties, it seems that a Second Pilot was carried, to make the crew seven. The G.R. Mk.V did not have a mid-upper turret, so their crew was the same as the Wellingtons, namely: Pilot & Captain, Second Pilot, Navigator, and three WOp/AGs.

I am going through the O.R.Bs. for 179 Squadron, but it is taking time.