Thread: 355 Sqn - A round of drinks in commemoration of F/O George Bregman in October 1944

Thanks

Default 355 Sqn - A round of drinks in commemoration of F/O George Bregman in October 1944

Gents,
    Recently I have been working over the story of one Polish navigator F/O Jerzy (George) Bregman who had served in 113 and 355 Sqns in July-November 1943 in India prior to his posting and further service in 300 (Polish) Sqn).
    Unfortunately he was shot down and killed on 18/19 July 1944. In his last will that he wrote in June 1944, he decided to grant 10 pounds for a round of drinks in his commemoration for Sergeants` and Officers` Mess of 355 Sqn. This money should be paid off no sooner than 3 months after his death or his appearance on "the missing list".
    I wonder if indeed such incident could have taken place in November or December 1944.
    Perhaps there`s a record of such an event in 355 Sqn ORB?

Any assistance from 355 Sqn researchers would be apppreciated.
    Regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Greg,

I think you are referring to something known as: THE CHOP FUND.

Either, a person stipulated a sum of money or the man's Bar Book was opened and people drank to his memory. In the first case this was until the money ran out and in the second case the Mess Bill was written off.

In both cases and once the event was over, the man's name was never mentioned again.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    Yes, you may be right, that the story that I`m referring to may be related to this tradition.
    I would be happy to learn if there`s any chance to confirm that such event may have taken place.
    Any clues would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Greg