Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukmams

Thanks

Default Ukmams

Can anyone please help with information on an unnumbered RAF Squadron known as UKMAMS (United Kingdom Mobile Air Movements Squadron). I know that it existed through WW2 and well beyond that and I believe it was split into three flights. I would really like to know what each flight was and how it functioned generally but specifically in Aden in the 1960s.

Thanks

Archivist, Hi,
    Now, I’m no expert but I am surprised to learn that MAMS existed (in that name) in WW2. I had always thought that MAMS had come into existence at the same time (the period of ‘Jointery’ and ‘Mobility’ in the 60’s) as a number of other, similar, Units – Tac Comms Wing, Tac Supply Wing, JATE, JATFOR, etc, etc. Around this time I was moving compressed hydrogen cylinders and mercury-in-glass instruments (thermometers and barometers) around the world for the Mob Met Unit! The guys in JATE, the Suppliers, and Movers, were big tough blokes but they would blench visibly when I started talking about hydrogen and mercury (in the same a/c load)!!!
    There are several MAMS ex-members sites on the net. I suspect you may find what you want there. But if not, you may have to go to AHB to find the date when MAMS was first – officially – formed!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 5th March 2015 at 09:51. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Neville, Hi,

Your last para. Quite correct but I was too polite to say so. LOL!!!

Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello Peter,

I think you might have told me more than you know! If you are right about UKMAMS being a "new" name, hat probably explains why I am getting nowhere. The sites you refer to are mostly reminiscences and unfortunately only one of them mentions the man I am interested in and that was when he attended a fund raiser at the age of 88 in 2008.

I have tracked his 32 year Air Force history from pre-war Poland until his retirement in 1969. He was a mechanic on fighters, a Wellington bomber pilot in Coastal Command, a helicopter pilot in Malaya and on Search and Rescue in this country and he also trained in Air Traffic Control. I have a 2 year gap from January 1964 to February 1966 when he was at RAF Khormaksar in Aden. This is the period when he was associated with UKMAMS (or, indeed, its predecessor).

In this place he could have followed any of his previous callings!

Speaking of hydrogen and mercury in the same aircraft, I would have thought incontinence was a more appropriate action than blenching!

Thanks for your help
    Neville Bougourd

Thanks

This book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/UKMAMS-Kingd.../dp/B002G8H4F8

suggests a 1966 formation date for UKMAMS. At one point each of the overseas commands also had their own mobile movs sqn or section see...

one timehttp://www.ukmams.co.uk/Membership.html

as well as individual movements flights and sections established permanently at bases. I would start with that last site which has a named historian in its contacts

Thanks

Thanks Georgec,

It's worth a try

Thanks

Just as an OBTW, when HQ UKMAMS was at Abingdon they had, outside their front door a, 5ft high 3 ft square base, concrete mile marker. On it was inscribed "Kuala Lumpur 25 Miles". It had probably come back in a Beverley. It had certainly never been JATEd, so what it had been described as on the Manifest is anyone's guess! But as MAMS wrote the Manifests you can imagine some vocabulary 'sleight-of-hand'!!! There are, no doubt and in the MAMS history, several thousands of such stories!!
    Good gang of guys!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello Peter,

Every little detail helps. It took me weeks and several sleepless nights to write his life story up until the end of WW2. So I feel a moral obligation to complete the job and I will not give in. I can afford a few sleepless nights as I have recently retired!

Regards
    Nevile

Thanks

Neville,
    Have you thought about (a) putting his name/number on the Forum (somebody may know of him?), and/or (b) going for his Service Record? As far as (a) is concerned there are a number of our Polish colleagues who know a great deal about many of the Poles who escaped and joined the RAF. (b) will give you his postings (including courses!) - but it will cost you 30GBP and can take up to several months to appear! But as you have already spent some considerable time on the project a few more months won't make much difference?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

He died in 2011 so I thought it had to be 25 years after his death before the records were available to anyone. However, his son has already agreed to apply for them. As you say, I can wait.

I have all, or most of his military life mapped out. It's just those two years in Aden that are giving me so much trouble and his own notes for that period are missing. I have notes, press cuttings, diary entries and photographs for everything from pre-WW2 Poland, France, Britain as a mechanic in 307 Squadron to a Bomber pilot with 304 Squadron in Coastal Command. A service pilot until he went to Malaya, jungle and riot duties in Malaya and Singapore, Search and Rescue before and after Aden.

If need be, I will wait for the service record but meanwhile, I will keep trying! If you think it will make a difference, his service number remained the same from his arrival in England until his retirement. He was F/Lt Jan Dominik Walentowicz and his number was 793924

Regards
    Neville