Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukmams

Thanks

Neville,

I doubt a chap would spend two years in Aden as a member of UK MAMS. As the name suggests, it was a UK based unit made up of numerous small teams and it travelled the world with a strong emphasis on loading/unloading special cargo, often of odd sizes and shapes.

A task carried out by a related unit: JATE, was to examine all sorts of potential odd loads and work out how to put these into a variety of aircraft and design a loading and lashing scheme.

If the man you are looking for is called Zmitrowicz by any chance, then I know them both!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin,

I found him on a UKMAMS website and made the catastrophic mistake of thinking he was part of it. People like yourself and Peter are slowly disabusing me of that belief. As a researcher, I am persistent and thorough but I do not have the Air Force background to keep me on track. So I really appreciate the expertise of others.

I believe that he must have worked in Air Traffic Control because he trained in that subject not too long before he was posted to Khormaksar What I really need is to find someone who knew him during his 25 months there. And I have to keep an open mind. His name was Jan Dominik Walentowicz and he would be 44 years old when he arrived at Khormaksar.

Two years later he returned to flying helicopters in SAR in England and stayed with that until he was relegated to a desk. I have great detail on the rest of his career but I have to get those two years in Aden right as well

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

He retired on 1 October 1969 and was a member of the General Duties Branch, which suggests he remained as a member of aircrew and did not transfer to air traffic or any of the other support Branches of the air force. However, that does not mean he was always in flying appointments. the Record of Service and the Big K Forms 541 will help.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

A further note regarding the subject.

The RAF had a very strange (now it seems) of stopping most people flying at age 47 and those who continued had adjustments to their flying pay - can't remember the details.

Unless one was formally remustered to another Branch, one remained 'General Duties' but could be employed almost anywhere.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I have now had a communication from someone who worked with Jan at Khormaksar and he tells me, that from January 1965 until April 1965 (at least) he did work in Air Traffic Control

Thanks

Some pointers to follow up.

The RAF Forms 540/541 are the monthly diary and the schedule of sorties flown, respectively. Stations and flying sqns have both but administrative units don't have a 541.

If he went SAR on return to UK, it is probable that he served with either 22 or 202 Sqns, both still exist and both have active associations. Furthermore, both have their sqn HQs at RAF Valley and are part of HQ RAF SAR Force. As to his service in Aden, there might be a Khormaksar association or an Aden Old Boys club or some such. Try googling to see what might emerge.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin,

On 14th February 1966 He was posted to CFS (?) Helicopter Wing, No 2 Sqdn, Ternhill No 20 Helicopter Refresher
    On 6th March 1966 He was detached to Valley CFS (?) Helicopters
    On 1st April 1966 He was posted to C Flight, 202 Sqdn, Leuchars as C Flight Commander
    His last move was to polish a desk in Acklington - I think that was too much for him and he retired in October 1969
    What is CFS, please?

I have added a photograph (img174) to the gallery. This shows the ATC Staff at Khormaksar at the time, in case you know any of them. Jan is front row 3rd from the right

Regards
    Neville
    Last edited by archivist; 10th March 2015 at 09:13.

Thanks

Hi Neville

CFS = Central Flying School

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm,

Not having an RAF background, that is not as obvious to me as it must seem to you!

Neville

Thanks

To give a little more information, the helicopter flying training at the time was conducted at RAF Ternhill Shropshire by Central Flying School for both ab initio RAF pilots and all service flying instructors (QHIs).

Ab initio RAF students started off on the Sycamore (until Spring 1966) on No: 1 Squadron, who were based in the Sunshine hangar offices - so called because of an earlier visit by Mr A Hitler, the well known demolition engineer. They then progressed to the Whirlwind 10 operated by No: 2 Squadron. 2 Sqn were also responsible for the training of all service qualified helicopter flying instructors and also training crewmen, who in 1966 were mostly surplus air signallers. Mountain flying and a short SAR familiarisation was done at RAF Valley by a detachment from Tern Hill. Those destined for SAR work would return to Valley for more detailed training.

Ground School was conducted in offices on the station side of the Sunshine hangar, there was a CFS examining unit and a Standards Sqn, both of whom occupied offices in the ground floor of the ATC tower.

There were also short courses of various sorts and at one stage three ab initio students went straight to the Whirlwind, to see how they got on.

The Whirlwind equipped two SAR sqns in UK and four, later three and then back to four sqns of support helicopters in the Far East. There were also Whirlwind SAR flights in Cyprus, Libya and Belize and some in Aden. With that number, quite a few pilots went straight to the aircraft on which they had trained. The Wessex and Belvedere were the other principal RAF helicopters, with the former just coming in.

The last SAR with a Sycamore was done on 12 February 1966 from Tern Hill with a scratch crew of Flights Lieutenants Bywater and Bailey, with your truly as the crewman. XJ380 was the 'cab' on that occasion.

Colin Cummings