Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Sqn June 1944

Thanks

Default 10 Sqn June 1944

I wonder if anyone could advise where I could get information on my Grandfather's Squadron and the aircrew of his Halifax please. Sgt Gerald O'Leary was a Tail Gunner and was killed on the 3rd June 1944 bombing a railway depot to the West of Paris. I know very little of his service history or even when he joined up. He was a Sgt in the Met Police and that delayed his joining up much to his frustration to family in letters. Any information on where to get details would be fantastic. Just in case people think I am lazy I have tried the National Records Office! Many thanks. Gerald

Thanks

Your grandfather was lost on Halifax LV882 (ZA-D). Bomb Aimer Sgt AW Hunter was the sole survivor who evaded capture. His evasion report survives at Kew (WO208/5145/2045) and may describe the sequence of events from being hit by the German night fighter until he jumped.

I would also apply (free of charge) for the RCAF service file of navigator, F/O Ernest
    Heyworth:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...dNumber=39887&

Scroll down to Option 2:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...ar-dead.aspx#e

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello

I don't have the evasion report mentioned by Dave, but there's another report in WO 208/3351 which states his service number was 1214904. He was hidden in the same place from 3rd June to September 1944, by Mr. Cherbonnier, 76 rue de Paris, Chevreuse, Seine & Oise.

The ORB of No. 10 Squadron is in AIR 27/145 at Kew, I have some pages for June 1944, but not for the 2/3 June raid.

Joss

Thanks

Default Thank You

Thank you both for your advice and super information. Sorry for the delay in replying. I hadnt clicked the tracking button and thought nobody had replied. I will follow your advice.

Thanks again.

Gerald

Thanks

You need his Record of Service - this tells all you need to get you started. The Veterans Agency website should tell you how to acquire this - there is, of course, a bureaucracy attached to this!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Sgt G. O'Leary and Halifax LV 882 - 10 Sqn 3 June 1944

Hi Gerald,
    It will be worth your while to contact the 10 Sqn Assoc via their website www.10sqnass.co.uk o rby email to contactus@10sqnass.co.uk We have considerable info of interest to you about your grandfather and his crew. A presentation of this is being made to OC10 Sqn from RAF Brize Norton on Remembrance Sunday at the former Halifax base at Melbourne Yorks (Satnav Postcode YO42 4SS) including some plates from his aircraft - Halifax LV 882. A short service will be held at the 10 Sqn War Memorial and the coffee afterwards in the old refurbished Control Tower. All are welcome. Wrap up warm and don't plan to travel through Elvington as the road is closed each Remembrance Sunday. Go via Barmby Moor and Allerthorpe to Melbourne and thence towards Seaton Ross to Melrose Farm Arrive by 1045 for an 1100 hrs start.

'From Brooklands to Brize' is a 100 year history hardback book about 10 Sqn, shortly to be published. 300+ pages and will cost £25 + £5 p&p. Details about it on www.10sqnass.co.uk. Details of LV882 are in the book too.
    Rgds: The 10 Sqn Assoc

Thanks

Hello all. Thank you again for all your help.

With the help of Dick King of 10 Squadron Association and Bernard Leroy, a local who was 14 at the time and knew many of the people involved in the immediate aftermath and a man who has done a huge amount of research into LV 882.

The update so far for my grandfather Gerald looks like this:

Gerald was the TEC in LV 882 which was shot down in Amlaincourt near Paris the night of the 2nd-3rd June 44. He parachuted down safely and was driven away by Georges Chateau, a friendly farmer. George reportedly drove Gerald to Raizeux. At some point between landing and the 5th Gerald was killed.

It's not known if he had internal injuries because no injuries were reported by the farmer, if he was shot in a Friendly Fire situation or if there was a fight with the Germans on the ground some time after leaving the site of the crash.

Gerald was buried until after the war in in Chartres having been found dead by in La Taye (more often spelt La Taie) but there are no records of fighting in that area over the period so it is very unlikely he died there. It is likely his body was brought to La Taye from close by because of the danger of being found with a body was ever present so a short journey would have been wise.

I know that over 150 aircrew were being hidden in a resistance camp in Fréteval but can't say that this was where he was being taken.

Regards,

Gerald
    Last edited by Gerald Colan-O'Leary; 16th June 2018 at 15:58.

Thanks

Gerald

Further to Colin's #5 details as to how to obtain an RAF service record can be found at https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records . The procedure is reasonably straightforward these days, but requires a £30 search fee and there is a delay of about 6 weeks before the document arrives. A service record lists the units with which he served from the date of enlistment, dates of promotions plus a small amount of other information. It will not provide details of the night and subsequent days (it is not a diary in that respect) but should help you understand where he served and what he did during his time in the RAF. Should you need any help interpreting the entries don't hesitate to ask on the forum.

The 10 Squadron ORB can be downloaded from the National Archives at £3.50 a file; the two files for June 1944 are AIR 27/1456/11 and AIR 27/145/12. Once again these will not provide specific details about your grandfather, but will give some general detail about the night in question. Just go to http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...e/r/h/C2502777 which lists the monthly ORBs for 10 Squadron in 1944, and select the two files listed above.

Brian

Thanks

Also Gerald did you as suggested above get the RCAF airman file from Ottawa?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Brian,

Thank you very much for that. I will do that today. I didn't got and get any doca from the RCAF because I am not sure what they will tell me about my grandfather. The crew were mainly from the UK with the pilot being from India. My belief is that it was their second mission and sadly probably didn't have the experience to fight the Germans off. I accept a crew with 20 + missions could just as easily be shot down.

Gerald