Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 450430 - Unaccounted Airmen - 30-04-1945

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for posting that information. Most helpful.

A few years ago, there was an excellent site on 624 Sqn. Alas, now gone. Might be able to bring it up on WaybackMachine.

AUS413485 Edmund Seymour Isaacs RAAF, who was your father's Nav 'B' at Abu Sueir on 30 April, 1945, reputedly flew 36 ops before moving on to 1675 HCU, not sure which unit he was was with.

I had a look at the 624 Sqn ORB*. Your father's first op (as F/Sgt/2nd Dickie), with 624 Sqn appears to be on 18/19 March, 1944 in Halifax JN958, piloted by AUS413251 W/O George Francis Regan RAAF (later DFC & 1675 HCU). Does that sound right? His first op ("PUDDLEDUCK"), with his own crew appears to be on 26/27 March, 1944 in Halifax BB442.

* http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...y=&qmem=&cur=0

Thanks once again for filling a big gap in my files.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th March 2019 at 15:40.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello Brian,

Welcome to the Forum.

Would you be able to give us a brief rundown on your father's service record, units etc?

Your comments, and those of "Forester", are most appreciated.

Col.
    Hi Col,

Thomas Francis Berrigan began his pilot training in Australia qualifying as a pilot with the RAAF. He did his instrument training in Boston,U.S.A, and from mid 1943 flew operations for Bomber Command. I would have to check the details and his log book, which I do not have to hand at this moment, to describe the squadrons he flew for, in Bomber Command. He was chosen to fly for 624 Special Duties Squadron which was formed to carry out operations for the S.O.E.. 624 SD Squadron was based in Blida, Algeria. The operations were to fly into occupied France on solo night missions to drop SOE agents, weapons, radio equipment, and other supplies to the Resistance forces. I believe he flew more than 20 combat operations for 624 SD Squadron between March and October 1944. 624 SD Squadron was then disbanded, as that mission had been accomplished. He was eventually reassigned to 1675 H.C.U in Abu Sueir, Egypt, as an instructing pilot flying Liberators.

Kind regards

Brian

Thanks

Thank you Col, all of that information is correct I believe. I will have to check the 624 Squadron log to confirm exactly. I think my father flew around 36 Ops in total, very similar to Edmund Isaacs.

The 624 SD Squadron website has been revitalised courtesy of some great work by a volunteer, Colin Balaam, link to the website below:

https://624squadron.com/

In my files I have a letter from the RAAF giving a full account of the plane crash. If it is of interest I will reprint it here. It was of course a very traumatic event, and I need to be sensitive about the feelings of relatives.

Of most interest to me is to find out why this plane crashed? My father died not knowing. Was it sabotage, engine malfunction, an accident? I would be very happy to hear from experts, or relatives of crew members.

Kind regards

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

Good to see the 624 Sqn site is back. Thanks for the link.

I'd pop the results of the findings on the Forum. The Mods would soon let you know, what is, and what isn't, acceptable.

Thanks for your help.

Col.