Thread: City of Watford Spitfire W3456

Thanks

Default City of Watford Spitfire W3456

I've been trying to find the place where this aircraft crashed on the 10th November 1944. There seems to be two lines of thought at present, one that it belonged to 17FTS then based at Cranwell and crashed in the circuit there, another that 308 Squadron were using it and that it crashed near Heston after engine failure. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith2uk View Post
    I've been trying to find the place where this aircraft crashed on the 10th November 1944. There seems to be two lines of thought at present, one that it belonged to 17FTS then based at Cranwell and crashed in the circuit there, another that 308 Squadron were using it and that it crashed near Heston after engine failure. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Air Britain Gifts of War goes for 17 FTS option, being taken on from 17 October 1944. On 10/11 the engine failed on approach and W3456 crashed at Heath Farm, Raucby killing its Turkish pilot, 2nd Lt Hundai Toros.

Did crash on approach to Heston (!) with 308 Sqn but that was much earlier, This aeroplane seems to have spent most of its life being rebuilt as there were several other mishaps.

Also appears the name was just "Watford" not City of.

regards Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 6th March 2015 at 14:26. Reason: Extra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterColwill View Post
    Air Britain Gifts of War goes for 17 FTS option, being taken on from 17 October 1944. On 10/11 the engine failed on approach and W3456 crashed at Heath Farm, Raucby killing its Turkish pilot, 2nd Lt Hundai Toros.

Did crash on approach to Heston (!) with 308 Sqn but that was much earlier, This aeroplane seems to have spent most of its life being rebuilt as there were several other mishaps.

Also appears the name was just "Watford" not City of.

regards Peter
    Thanks for the reply Peter, I've been talking with the farmer at Heath Farm, and he or the locals have any knowledge of the crash? So I will have another chat with them.

Regards Keith

Thanks

17 FTS in my opinion. Rauceby is just a short distance south of RAF Cranwell, so the "crashed in the circuit " scenario sounds feasible.

Also, 308 Sqdn had converted to Mk IXs in November 1943, and a year later were on the Continent and hardly likely (IMO) to have a Mk V on the strength.
    Last edited by angelsonefive; 10th March 2015 at 10:11. Reason: Added information re. Rauceby.

Thanks

Air Lt Hüdai Toros is my great uncle and I was wondering if anybody thinks I could find someone, who may have instructed him or trained with him. Any help would be much appreciated. I can be contacted @ cengiz.turkoglu@cranfield.ac.uk
    Kind regards