Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/L Hubert Cecil Biles 77082

Thanks

Default S/L Hubert Cecil Biles 77082

Hi
    Does anyone have any knowledge on S/L (W/C) Hubert Cecil Biles 77082 RAFVR? I have LG data, but apart of mentioning him as Secretarial Branch, they do not provide details on his service. Also, was he identical with Hubert Cecil Biles, 1890-1972? Retirement from RAFVR at 60 seems excessive for me, but perhaps I am wrong.
    Thanks

Thanks

Franek, Hi

Yr man Biles was in the Education Branch in 1941 (AFL). He had been there since 1929. He does not seem to have any post-nominal educational qualifications listed – so he does not have a Degree? We do not know what languages he spoke. The 1911 Census shows him to have been a Student at a (Teachers?) Training College in London.

On 29 May 42 he is given permission to wear the Polonia Restituta - 4th Class Decoration conferred by The President of the Polish Republic.

By 1945 (AFL) he is now in the Directorate of Allied Air Co-operation and Foreign Liaison.

A possible (rpt possible) theory to account for all that might be that he was heavily involved in setting up the RAF training schools (both language and technical) for the large influx of Polish expatriates who arrived in UK at the beginning of war. In doing so he very likely met a number of influential Poles? Other nationalities might also have been involved? So he is posted to Air Co-operation and Foreign Liaison. Whenever I see “liaison” in a job title I immediately become uneasy!! No precise definition of the job! This borders on the world of intelligence, etc, etc, and the “spooks”!!

I was well over 60 when I Relinquished my (Reserve) Commission!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 11th March 2015 at 10:46. Reason: Training College info
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

Biles rates a mention here:

http://airfieldinformationexchange.o...9-1-April-1944

See: 28-04-41 and 06-01-42.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks, COL!! Nice one! It was a complete stab in the dark based on the question "Now, why would I post an Educator to a Co-operation and Liaison Branch?"
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thanks guys (chums?), excellent! So it looks the man was responsible for language training, and as such he might have been involved with Polish Resettlement Corps. It makes sense.

Thanks

Hello,

And for future reference:

POLISH HONOURS.*

Air Marshal Sir Sholto Douglas, Chief of Fighter Command, was among R.A.F. officers who were admitted last evening to the Polish Order of Polonia Restituta in recognition of their services in the organization and development of the Polish Air Force in Britain. The Air Marshal, together with Air Vice-Marshal T. L. Leigh-Mallory and Air Vice-Marshal R. D. Oxland - all of whom became Knights Commander of the Order - and Wing Commander H. C. Biles (Officer) received the insignia of the Order from the President of Poland, M. Raczkiewicz, at a ceremony held at the headquarters of the Polish Forces in London in the presence of General Sikorski, the Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief.

Air Marshal Sir Richard Peirse (Knight Commander), Air Commodore H. K. Thorold (Commander), and Wing Commander W. B. Everton (Officer) will receive the decoration at the stations at which they are serving.

See: The Times. Tuesday, June 16, 1942. p.2 (Issue 49263).

* See also: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/2334

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th March 2015 at 00:39.

Thanks

Hello All,

And just to get nearer completing his 'picture':-

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 6 JANUARY, 1921. 151
    ARMY EDUCATIONAL CORPS.
    The undermentioned to be Lts. 7th Jan. 1921: —
    Lit. Hubert Cecil Biles, from Leinster R.

So he was 31 when first Commissioned? He must have done Service in the Ranks (in the Leinster Regt?) during WW1? When did he Transfer to the RAF? His No 1 Tunic would have had a very unusual row of medal ribbons?

HTH

Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello,

Re: Biles' commissioning, see:

http://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/i...supplement/466

and the following:

THE EARTHQUAKE AT QUETTA - MILITARY AND CIVIL CASUALTIES - OFFICIAL LIST.

The India Office announces that the following casualties have been reported from Quetta in addition to the casualties officially announced on Friday. The List does not include Royal Air Force casualties, which have already been announced by the Air Ministry:- (one of whom, was) Diana, daughter of Captain H. C. Biles, R.A.F. (Education Branch), R.A.F.

See: The Times. Monday, June 3, 1935. p.13.

SERVICE DINNERS.

No.3 (INDIAN) WING AND No.5 AND No31 SQUADRONS, R.A.F.

The reunion dinner of No.3 (Indian) Wing and No.5 and No.31 (A.C.) Squadrons was held on Saturday in London - Among those present - Capt. H. C. Biles.

The Times. Monday. May 29, 1939. p.13

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th March 2015 at 13:29.

Thanks

That A&SD Commissioning List contains some VERY unusual members. There are all sorts of previous ranks and decorations (DSO, DCM, MC, MM, RN Cdrs & Lt/Cdrs) to name but a few. Somebody was assembling a group of bodies for some purpose(s). I doubt if such a List would have occurred 'by accident'? I would love to know just what (and who?!!) was behind that List. Then by 1941 our man (if indeed it was the same man - and I think it probably was?) is in the Education Branch. Why? What was going on?? Fascinating!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Well, knowledge of languages certainly is appreciated in intelligence work. The question is, what languages Biles knew.