Thread: Looking for a Halifax Picture

Thanks

Default Looking for a Halifax Picture

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of Halifax BB321? I have done the usual google and book search but I have been unsuccessful. She served with RAAF 462 ME and met her end crash landing at Hosc Raui, Libya on 28/09/43. Its quite possible there never was one of her to find I suspect.

Cheers

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I had a look at 'To see the dawn again' a history of 462 Sqn. You are most likely right but as you most likely know the attack on Larrissa Areodrome on the night of 27/28 September was BB321 one and only operation. The aircraft developed engine trouble and returned early and on landing crashed and caught fire all the crew survived.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi John

Thank you for looking in 'To see the dawn again', its not a book I have seen and when it does come up for sale its very expensive. BB321 had carried out ten successful operations and 3 aborted ones before that fateful night, it was her first and only sortie carrying the S for sugar letter. The previous S for sugar had just been retired and the crew that flew her that night had been the main users of the the previous S, though not the exclusive crew. My uncle was aboard her when she crashed and although he survived the accident it was cited as a contributing factor to his death a few years later. Its the reason I am researching her and looking for a picture, I have managed to obtain pictures of a few of the aircraft he flew but BB321 still eludes me.

Thanks again for looking, I appreciate it.
    Bob