Thread: The Bufton Brothers of Radnorshire

Thanks

Default The Bufton Brothers of Radnorshire

Hi i am compiling Bios on Sidney Osbourne Bufton , Harry Emlyn Bufton and John Raymond Bufton who where local to me , I am trying to confirm details that are mentioned in "Bomber Barons" By Chaz Bowyer .

" Hal Bufton ( Harry Emlyn ) was posted to No 9 Sqd in Early 1941 , the Book goes on to state that during Feb 1941 while flying a wellington he was forced to ditch in the MED while attacking an Italian Target , he was rescued by a Spanish Fisherman with whom he stayed for two months before returning to his Sqd and resuming Ops .

can anyone supply anything further on this statement ????.

In Aug 41 he and his crew were forced to Crash land another Wimpy after Engine trouble during a raid to Cologne he and two others evaded but three others became POWS .

Would welcome anyone who can shed any light on the Feb 41 Incident .

TIA Phill Jones

Thanks

Hi Phill

There's a bio on Sidney on my website.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm .
    i have sidney's bio from your Website i was looking for more on His Brother Harry Emlyn Bufton another Brother John Raymond was lost in In 1940 a very interesting family

rgs Phill

Thanks

Hello

H.E. Bufton has an evasion report in Kew, in WO 208/3307, report 610, and an appendix C in WO 208/5582, which doesn't bring anything really. His Wellington came down near Le Cateau (Nord Département in France).

I haven't spotted anything in February 1941 in the Squadron ORB matching the details you give.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss.

Thank you , i will obtain a copy of the Evasion report again my thanks for replying

rgs Phill Jones

Thanks

Hello

Phill, e-mail me and I'll send them to you. As I said, I'm interested in Harry as he's "local" for me too, for he came down in my research area.

Joss

Thanks

Joss ,

mail sent Phill

Thanks

Default Re: The Bufton Brothers of Radnorshire

Quote Originally Posted by phill jones View Post
    Hi i am compiling Bios on Sidney Osbourne Bufton , Harry Emlyn Bufton and John Raymond Bufton who where local to me , I am trying to confirm details that are mentioned in "Bomber Barons" By Chaz Bowyer .

" Hal Bufton ( Harry Emlyn ) was posted to No 9 Sqd in Early 1941 , the Book goes on to state that during Feb 1941 while flying a wellington he was forced to ditch in the MED while attacking an Italian Target , he was rescued by a Spanish Fisherman with whom he stayed for two months before returning to his Sqd and resuming Ops .

can anyone supply anything further on this statement ????.

In Aug 41 he and his crew were forced to Crash land another Wimpy after Engine trouble during a raid to Cologne he and two others evaded but three others became POWS .

Would welcome anyone who can shed any light on the Feb 41 Incident .

TIA Phill Jones

Hi Phil.

I'm Harry's granddaughter Kate. I've been working on the family tree and stumbled across this post. It is 5 years old so you may have found the info elsewhere by now... Harry died when I was only 2 but I was very close with my grandmother Jeanne Bufton (she had worked at Bletchley Park) and she proudly told us his stories. I even went to France to meet Roland Lepers and his wife who were the ones who smuggled Harry out after his crash. He was only 16 at the time. I have posted some documents to Ancestry.ca to my tree "Marshall-Bufton-Howell" but would be happy to email you what I have. There are some telegrams from Harry to Jeanne from France when he was able to send them. My mother Roz Marshall and my Uncle Sam Bufton are the best ones to talk to. Sam has most of Harry's medals and documents. I've tried to attach an image of Harry in front of his plane being interviewed by a television crew but not sure this platform accepted it... Please contact me any time. -Kate Marshall, Vancouver, Canada

[IMG]Harry.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

Hello Kate,

I also met Roland Lepers a few years back. He initially helped in an evasion network, and eventually "evaded" from France himself, and trained as a pilot. He finished his flying training just in time to fly a few ops in Mitchell twin-engine bombers with the "Lorraine" Free French Squadron.

I'm interested in Harry Bufton's story, as explained above in the thread. Do you have the evasion report ? You can contact me at
    JossLeclercq AT orange DOT fr (replace by the obvious)

Joss

Thanks

Hello Kate , i have mailed you thank you Phill Jones