Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampden X2967, 61 Squadron, 14th November 1940

Thanks

Default Hampden X2967, 61 Squadron, 14th November 1940

Dear All,

I am trying to find out a little more about the crew and the loss of Hampden X2967 which was lost while attacking Berlin in the 14th/15th November 1940. The aircraft was part of 61 Squadron and I am keen to try and work out which other raids the crew had taken part on, and the forenames of the crew.

So far I know the following:

Digby Aretas Young, 42456, POW Number 336, Camp L3 (grandfather of the singer Will Young)
    F Johnson, 648968, POW Number 337, Camp 357
    J. I. Boyce, 623589, POW Number 322, Camp L6
    R. L. Hollidge, 740910, POW Number 370, Camp 357 (MID London Gazette 31/01/1947)

Now, do any members have any idea of what the various crew memberís first names were?

Secondly, I assume that Young and Johnson were captured together due to their consecutive numbers, but could the other two men have been taken POW on a different date or is that too much of a jump?

Finally, do any members have any idea why Hollidge was MID? Would this be linked to a later campaign or action or could it have been a catch up award? I did wonder if it may have been for services while a POW or possibly trying to escape, but was put off this idea by the date.

Any help or additional information would be great.

Johnnie

Thanks

johnnie214

Have you tried Air 78 Files Online to check to see if full names are listed for the men as you have the service number should be easy as long as they are not listed in Air78 by Initials only

Paul

Thanks

What Paul said for OR/NCO RAF ranks and London Gazette for RAF Officer.

PoW numbers are only valid for the date and camp that the Red Cross info was taken.

Purges to new camps saw men either use their original camp number or given the number of a previous PoW at the camp who had been recently purged.

Some new camps started from scratch for the men that arrived enmass.

Regard
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

F Johnson, 648968, POW Number 337, Camp 357

Had 10 mins to spare... Air 78

Fred Johnson

Thanks

Many thanks for that. I hadn't realised they were part of the free mircofilm section of the PRO so I'm just in the process of downloading the files covering Johnson!!

I'll try one of the others!

Johnnie

Thanks

Young's first op, was with Sqd/Ldr England, on 17/8/40. He did a further 6 ops with England, before taking out a "scratch" crew himself on 25/9/40, and again on 29/9/40. On 2/10/40, he took out, what became his regular crew for a further 7 ops.
    Sgt Hollidge.
    Sgt Taylor.
    Sgt Bell.
    On 14th Nov, Sgt Boyle, (note name) and Sgt Johnson, took the place of Taylor and Bell.
    Sgt Boyce, is listed throughout the ORB as "Boyle"

Thanks

That's great. Many thanks for that information. Can we assume that Johnson and Boyce were stand in crew members who were new to the Squadron, or are there further mentions of them in the ORB?

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnie,
    Boyle was on the squadron before Young, he appears back in June 40. Johnson, not so long, since October. The name is most definatley Boyle, as recorded in the ORB, and not Boyce. There is also a slight error also in his service number that you have listed, two numbers the wrong way around, have just checked AIR78 list, and it's 625389 James Ian Boyle
    Last edited by AlanW; 24th May 2013 at 17:39.

Thanks

Default Digby Aretus Young

Being the son of Digby who died when I was in my teens, I am missing any knowledge of his service career.
    It appears from this thread that maybe someone can help me discover his activities up to and including his internment in Stalag Luft 3.

Thanks

Hi,
    Have sent pm regarding 61sqdn details
    Alan