Thread: Atlantic Star

Thanks

Default Atlantic Star

I have just come across a case of the award of the Atlantic Star to an OR who died whilst serving in the North Atlantic. To qualify a recipient had to complete 6 months service in the North Atlantic, home waters or North Russia convoys, or to have their service period was terminated by death or disability due to active service.

I suspect such an award must have been quite unusual, as I can't think of many operations (other than ASR crews) that required an RAF OR to serve at sea.

Would any of our medal experts have any idea how many Atlantic Stars were awarded to RAF personnel?

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian
    I'm no expert on medals, but would service as "groundcrew" for the catapult Hurricanes on CAM Ships qualify an airman for the medal (particularly if the ship he served on was sunk).
    You would know better than most what ranks might have been held by Met personnel on weather ships and there could also be the crews of ASR Launches operating in the Bay of Biscay and W of Ireland.. I also had an e-mail from the RAF Museum that indicated that as late as Nov 1940 there were still about 2000 RAF personnel providing the servicing on carriers and shore bases for Fleet Air Arm Sqns. It gives a reasonable range for RAF OR's to be in the right areas for the requisite period.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hello Brian
    The Atlantic Star was a campaign medal of the British Commonwealth, awarded for service in World War II.

The star was awarded for six months service afloat, in the Atlantic or in Home Waters, within the period 3 September 1939 to 8 May 1945. Also awarded to aircrew who have taken part in operations against the enemy at sea within the qualifying areas for Naval personnel, subject to two months service in an operational unit. The 1939-1945 Star must have been earned before commencing qualifying service for the Atlantic Star.

Merchant seaman also qualified for the medal. They were required to have served in the Atlantic home waters, North Russia Convoys or South Atlantic waters.

The star was immediately awarded if the service period was terminated by death, disability or wounding. The award of a gallantry medal or a Mention in Despatches also led to an immediate award.

Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Hi Brian
    Andy has indicated how wide the Qualifying area was for the medal . The casualty lists for HMS Courageous in 1939 and HMS Glorious in 1940 had many RAF personnel as part of the Ship's complement. The Glorious had about 40 evacuees from Norway but very nearly 20 others serving on the 2 FAA Sqns embarked most of whom lost their lives.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Don't forget that "RAF air crew will qualify after award of the 1939-45 Star for an additional 60 days service in an operational unit having taken part in operations against the enemy at sea."

So not such a long time criteria. ASR, CC, and those aboard ships, and maybe Ferry/Transport Command. I'd have thought those based in Iceland, and those who flew patrols from Canada and the West Indies got it too

A

Thanks

Thank you for your advice gentlemen.

The case to which I referred was actually a Sergeant on one of the weather ships - I've just received his service record from the daughter of his fiancÚ (she married sometime after his death). Seeing the award made me start thinking - hence my query.

I hadn't realised RAF personnel served on the carriers in such large numbers, so there were obviously more who qualified than I thought. I wondered about the CAM ships, but thought that since the aircraft would make just a single flight, then such servicing that would be required would be undertaken by navy fitters.

The weather ships both had a Corporal and Sergeant ; the CO was a Squadron Leader on one, and Flight Lieutenant on the other.

Ah well - 'twas just a thought.

Brian